The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Chocolate Stout Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2008, 03:30 AM   #1
Stratotankard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default Chocolate Stout Question

Ok, finally got around to trying a chocolate stout (I loves me the Young's Double Chocolate). I had a True Brew Irish stout extract kit from LHBS and the owner was kind enough to recommend a few alterations to come close to a Young's.

Recipe as follows:
Kit-
3.3# Munton's Hopped Dark LME
2.0# Munton's Dark DME
0.4# Crystal 60
0.25# Roasted 2 Row
Additions-
0.5# Chocolate malt
0.5# Quaker Quick Oats
Hops-
1oz Cascade (60 min)
1oz Cascade (30 min)
Yeast
6 oz Munton's English? Ale
Other-
8oz Hershey's Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (15min)

My problem is, I don't have a single pot big enough to boil more than about 1 gal, of wort. After steeping my grains in about 3/4 gallon of water at 160F for 30 minutes I split the resulting grain "tea" into to pots and filled each to 1 gallon (the kit called for 2 gallon boil) and added half of each extract to each pot. Also added half of each hop addition to each pot (.5 oz at a time/per pot). OG was 1049 after topping my primary to 5 gallons (I did mix very thoroughly) and the sample tasted VERY bitter with a strong chocolate after taste.

I know that the volume of water has some effect on hop utilization, but how badly have I screwed this up? Any thoughts you might have about what I could have done differently?

Cheers!

---------------------------------------------
Primary: Burned Mead
Secondary: Bourbon Barrel Porter
Bottled: More Bourbon Barrel Porter, New Pekin Common, Flat Tail Old Ale, Bad Monkey Banana Wine, Flanders Red, Pumpkin Ale
Drinking: Too Much
On deck: Something crazy to use up the 3+ pounds of hops sitting in my freezer

Last edited by Stratotankard; 01-12-2008 at 04:58 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2008, 04:34 AM   #2
Joker

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Im not sure you did anything wrong it actually sounds fairly good to me, although I have never done a partial batch just full boils.

I would say the only thing you could do differently is get a burner and large pot and start doing full boils. If you have the room.

Sounds like it would be a lot less work.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:51 AM   #3
Stratotankard

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default Update

Ok, this has been in the primary a week now and SG readings yesterday and today are both 1020. Looks like it's done fermenting, but seems like it should have finished a bit lower than this. Any thoughts?
The beer sample is still very bitter but the strong chocolate finish seems to have faded a bit. Guess I'll rack to a secondary this weekend and let it condition for a while.

Cheers

Bottled: More Bourbon Barrel Porter, New Pekin Common, Flat Tail Old Ale, Bad Monkey Banana Wine, Flanders Red, Pumpkin Ale

Old 01-18-2008, 03:24 AM   #4
Paulinuke
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I made my chocolate stout in a very similar fashion, if I recall correct I only added about 1/4 cup of cocoa powder at the end of the boil and then I added another 1/4 cup during bottling. Don't be disappointed if this doesn't taste great when you first try it. Mine was good to ok when I first tried it and it keeps getting better , it's about six months old now and I really wish there was more than a few bottles left because it's awesome now. Good luck. Paul

I didn't mean cocoa, I meant unseweetened cocoa powder

Last edited by Paulinuke; 01-18-2008 at 07:22 AM. Reason: to clarify

Old 01-18-2008, 03:32 AM   #5
sirsloop
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

go to walmart and get yourself a 20qt stock pot...lol.. its like 10 bucks!

~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~

Old 01-18-2008, 04:57 AM   #6
shafferpilot

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flycactus
Ok, this has been in the primary a week now and SG readings yesterday and today are both 1020. Looks like it's done fermenting, but seems like it should have finished a bit lower than this. Any thoughts?
The beer sample is still very bitter but the strong chocolate finish seems to have faded a bit. Guess I'll rack to a secondary this weekend and let it condition for a while.

Cheers
warm it up to 73F for three or four days and check the gravity again. ten bucks says it'll drop another point or two. please don't put cocoa in it. this is beer not hot chocolate. cocoa adds a bitter aftertaste

A great man knows that he knows NOTHING

Old 01-18-2008, 05:26 AM   #7
Biermann
Reinvented Biermann

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts

I have a double chocolate stout in the conical right now that finished around 6.1% ABV. the FG was 1.026. I'm not disappointed in the taste or the alcohol.

I wouldn't worry about the FG as long as it tastes ok. Lot of factors could have lead to the gravity--EtOH level, unfermentables, etc.

--------------------------------------------------------
On Draft: Old, Stale, Oxidized beer

Holding tanks:Sold
Conical #1:Sold
Bottles: Nichts
On Deck:

Old 01-18-2008, 05:28 AM   #8
Biermann
Reinvented Biermann

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts

Oh, looking at your recipe, you could have had more chocolate to your recipe. I added 1.5 pounds of Dove Dark and Milk chocolate to my recipe. .. its right where I wanted it. Lactose added to the boil helped give it that milkiness as well. . .

--------------------------------------------------------
On Draft: Old, Stale, Oxidized beer

Holding tanks:Sold
Conical #1:Sold
Bottles: Nichts
On Deck:

Old 01-18-2008, 06:59 AM   #9
Flyin' Lion

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Yep, Biermann

My last chocolate stout called for dark chocolate as well as lactose. I find that these flavors need time to age and I brew my stouts with the intention of aging them at least 6 months.

As far as adding chocolate to beer, I think that is the beauty of homebrewing--we can put in anything we want. We don't have to comply with 'purity standards' that imply beer only contain grain, hops, water and yeast. My first chocolate stout was a clone of Rocky Mountain Brewing's chocolate Jitters (jitters because it called for 20 oz. of coffee).

Flycactus, let it age. You'll be glad you did.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:27 AM   #10
Stratotankard

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. At least I don't feel like I've ruined a good beer. I'll try bringing the temp up a few degrees for a couple more days, maybe rack to the secondary on Sunday.
The cocoa was at the advice of the LHBS. They actually recommended putting up to 16oz in during the last 10 minutes of the boil. Looking back, I'm glad I only put 8oz in, as it seems to have plenty of chocolate taste. Maybe the next time I do this I'll try it with some lactose. I was hoping the oatmeal would help with body and mouth feel.
I don't have any plans to bottle this quickly, most likely it will age in the secondary for at least a month, probably more if it isn't going to cause any problems. I still have about 25 large bottles of my first brew sitting around to drink So I'm in no hurry.

Cheers
Terje

Quick Reply