Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Chocolate mint stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2009, 03:20 AM   #11
MarcJWaters
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Honestly, I am hesitant to recommend this to you. As a mead maker more then a beer maker, mint has always seemed to muddle the mix for me in the most negative way imaginable.

We used peppermint in a batch of mead, and we were delighted by the aesthetics. After a year of monitoring and aging though, we were flabbergasted when we found out that it was undrinkable. It tasted like intense Listerene and was very bitter.

I do not know how this translates to the beer world, but that is my two cents.

Please donate generously to my account so that I may become a Premium Supporter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 08:30 PM   #12
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcJWaters View Post
Honestly, I am hesitant to recommend this to you. As a mead maker more then a beer maker, mint has always seemed to muddle the mix for me in the most negative way imaginable.

We used peppermint in a batch of mead, and we were delighted by the aesthetics. After a year of monitoring and aging though, we were flabbergasted when we found out that it was undrinkable. It tasted like intense Listerene and was very bitter.

I do not know how this translates to the beer world, but that is my two cents.
I don't think it's an issue here. A batch usually lasts me a couple weeks, but I drink a lot and like to pass out bottles to friends.

I highly recommend making a mint tea and mixing and tasting during bottling. Potential oxygenation of your beer is well worth getting the taste just right.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Old 11-12-2009, 01:58 AM   #13
Kerberbb
Recipes 

Funny, my wife wants to start trying to brew with me, so I was asking her what she thought might be something she would want to make. "How about like a chocolate mint beer" she said, to which I replied "Yeah why don't we just mix some Guiness and mouth wash." Awesome

Old 11-12-2009, 02:30 AM   #14
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerberbb View Post
Funny, my wife wants to start trying to brew with me, so I was asking her what she thought might be something she would want to make. "How about like a chocolate mint beer" she said, to which I replied "Yeah why don't we just mix some Guiness and mouth wash." Awesome
*crickets*

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Old 11-12-2009, 02:57 AM   #15
TUCK

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 11

My 2 cents;

I make my Famous Choc O' Mint Milk Stout a lot and to infuse the mint flavor I like to muddle and soak mint in vodka (mint elixir) to extract the oils and flavors of the mint and then add it to the beer (Keg, not secondary).

I dont use a secondary actually, (but that is another thread) and my beer is clear and tasty!!!!!

Hope the best for you, but remember "Less is More"

Quick Reply