Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Chocolate Milk Stout Recipe
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
Dome555
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Centereach, NY
Posts: 196
Likes Given: 1

Default Chocolate Milk Stout Recipe

What would you change if you wanted a borderline too sweet and too chocolaty beer? SWMBO has told me Left Hand's Milk Stout wasn't sweet enough and that Young's Chocolate wasn't chocolaty enough. As much as I'd like to recommend just making a milkshake, the deal is I get a keezer and she gets one of the taps.

5 gal Batch, 2.5 gal boil

6 lb Dark DME
1 lb Crystal 60
1 lb Flaked Oats
1 lb Lactose
12 oz Roasted Barley
8 oz Chocolate Malt

1.5 oz Kent Goldings @ 60 min
.5 oz Kent Goldings @ 20 min
8 oz Cocoa Powder @ 10 min

Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale

3 oz of Chocolate Extract @ kegging

Would I end up making pudding if I added maltodextrin? Maybe 2-4 oz.

I certainly won't be offended if you tell me to scrap the recipe and suggest a kit that fits the description. The NB and AHS kits, which is where I usually go, seemed to get mixed reviews. Thanks for any replies.

__________________
Dome555 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
C-Rider
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
C-Rider's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wai, Hawaii
Posts: 2,553
Liked 125 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Default

Bump

__________________

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Bottled in the refer: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Bottled in the refer: Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer: OldGlory (Am Stout)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer: German IPA
Bottled in the refer: Düsseldorf Altbier

C-Rider is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 10:23 PM   #3
skultch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Breckenridge, CO
Posts: 50
Default

This is my recipe for a milk chocolate stout that I later added peanut butter, vanilla, and bourbon to the secondary. 1 lb lactose and 6oz cocoa at flameout, and the same amounts again when racked to secondary. I added the vanilla because some said it would increase the "milky" flavor/feel that the lactose also provides. The chocolate flavor is strong, perhaps too strong. My problem with this batch is the peanut flavor doesn't come through at all and I wonder if the cocoa is just masking it. I'm still in secondary, so I still have options.

Hope that helps.
__________________
skultch is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #4
Run4BeerCO
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 21
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skultch View Post
This is my recipe for a milk chocolate stout that I later added peanut butter, vanilla, and bourbon to the secondary. 1 lb lactose and 6oz cocoa at flameout, and the same amounts again when racked to secondary. I added the vanilla because some said it would increase the "milky" flavor/feel that the lactose also provides. The chocolate flavor is strong, perhaps too strong. My problem with this batch is the peanut flavor doesn't come through at all and I wonder if the cocoa is just masking it. I'm still in secondary, so I still have options.

Hope that helps.
I'm looking for milk stout recipes and just before reading your post I thought, "What if I add vanilla to bring out the milk flavor?". That was weird. Anyways, How did your beer turn out? Recommendations on the amount of vanilla?
__________________
Run4BeerCO is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 06:16 PM   #5
crunchydoc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Rockland, Maine
Posts: 25
Likes Given: 28

Default

use cocoa nibs if you can in secondary, and IF you keg. put them right in the keg as well. Also adding rice syrup solids at flameout will add a little ABV bump and sweeten the perceived "milk" from the lactose.
We have one on tap right now we call Chocolate Milk for Adults

__________________
crunchydoc is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
Peanutbuttermustache
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Newark, Delaware
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dome555 View Post
What would you change if you wanted a borderline too sweet and too chocolaty beer? SWMBO has told me Left Hand's Milk Stout wasn't sweet enough and that Young's Chocolate wasn't chocolaty enough. As much as I'd like to recommend just making a milkshake, the deal is I get a keezer and she gets one of the taps.

5 gal Batch, 2.5 gal boil

6 lb Dark DME
1 lb Crystal 60
1 lb Flaked Oats
1 lb Lactose
12 oz Roasted Barley
8 oz Chocolate Malt

1.5 oz Kent Goldings @ 60 min
.5 oz Kent Goldings @ 20 min
8 oz Cocoa Powder @ 10 min

Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale

3 oz of Chocolate Extract @ kegging

Would I end up making pudding if I added maltodextrin? Maybe 2-4 oz.

I certainly won't be offended if you tell me to scrap the recipe and suggest a kit that fits the description. The NB and AHS kits, which is where I usually go, seemed to get mixed reviews. Thanks for any replies.
This looks good and I going to try it this weekend. I assume its a 60min boil? And when does the 1lb lactose and 8oz chocolate malt get added? I'm also thinking about putting chocolate nibs in the secondary, over kill??
__________________
Peanutbuttermustache is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
Peanutbuttermustache
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Newark, Delaware
Posts: 7
Default

So I got the ingredients and I'm brewing it this Sunday! Hopefully it turns out good. Does anyone know if this is a high ABV beer?

__________________
Peanutbuttermustache is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 02:13 AM   #8
rocketsan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 486
Liked 49 Times on 37 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchydoc View Post
use cocoa nibs if you can in secondary, and IF you keg. put them right in the keg as well. Also adding rice syrup solids at flameout will add a little ABV bump and sweeten the perceived "milk" from the lactose.
We have one on tap right now we call Chocolate Milk for Adults
What are rice syrup solids and how much do you use?
__________________
rocketsan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chocolate Stout Recipe - 1st Try mbosco Extract Brewing 5 03-25-2011 01:31 AM
northern's chocolate milk stout? aliciavr6 Extract Brewing 2 12-12-2010 01:20 AM
my first chocolate stout recipe LyonsViper27 Extract Brewing 4 06-21-2010 06:41 PM
Quantity of Steeping Grains in a Chocolate Milk Stout FiddleTilDeath Extract Brewing 2 05-25-2010 07:12 PM
How does this look for a Milk Chocolate Oatmeal Stout? kinkothecarp Extract Brewing 13 07-22-2009 01:32 AM