Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Chocolate Milk Stout - NB Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 01:20 AM   #11
tbrown4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcam91 View Post

Unless you have to free up primary I wouldnt bother with secondary. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Is it chocolatey enough for you?
I haven't done the cacao treatment yet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 01:25 AM   #12
jcam91
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown4 View Post

I haven't done the cacao treatment yet.
Oh woops then you do want to secondary lol sorry lol

Brew on folks!

Old 02-07-2013, 01:44 AM   #13
torso
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown4 View Post
So this one has been sitting at 1.020 for about two weeks. Im assuming its not gonna drop any more. I was expecting it to drop a little more.

Tasted about right. Decent body. Not overly sweet. Thinking about moving to secondary for treatments. Any recommendations otherwise?
I have brewed a chocolate milk stout before and I had this problem. Mine stopped at the 1.026 range. The only brew I've ever made that stopped there. Granted, my apartment was cool (maybe around 63 degrees at times) but other beers would continue to ferment in these conditions. I thought it was the massive amount of chocolate I boiled in (approx. 5 oz. nibs, 8oz. bittersweet), somehow hindered fermentation. I'm still not sure, but I think the chocolate in suspension actually made a much higher gravity reading. In fact, the OG which was meant to be around 1.062 or something was waaaay higher.

Anyways, racking to secondary helped bring the TG down to 1.020 or so I think because it thinned out the solution. This might not be any help to you because you didn't boil in the chocolate. However I'm writing this because like you, I wanted a chocolate bomb of a stout and after fermentation was over it still wasn't chocolaty enough for me. So I added chocolate extract, an entire little bottle {maybe 2 oz?}) and that worked perfectly. I made it for my breast feeding wife. It was her favorite ever. I called it "Suckling milk chocolate stout"

Old 02-11-2013, 01:53 AM   #14
barneygumble
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Soak the nibs in 1 oz High quality vanilla extract and enough vodka to cover. Give it a week and a half in secondary.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #15
jmadway
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I made this as is 6 months ago and it was great. Wouldn't change a thing. Served it on nitro. Very good.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #16
tbrown4
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Wanted to check in here. I ended splitting this batch for secondary. 2.5 gallons sat on 2 oz. cacao and 2.5 gallons sat on three vanilla beans. Both sat in secondary for 9 or 10 days. About a week in to secondary I began tasting both every day or so. Prior to bottling I took a half gallon off each to make a blend. Of the three varieties our hands down favorite is the vanilla milk stout, followed by the cacao vanilla blend. I'm not at all happy with the straight up cacao variety. Far too bitter and hardly any chocolate aroma. I think next time I very might just make a full 5 gallon batch with vanilla and no cacao.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:38 AM   #17
jt43
Recipes 

When did you add the lactose? I was thinking of making this but haven't made a beer with lactose yet

Old 04-12-2013, 01:47 AM   #18
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You have to let me know how it turned out man. That sounds BADASS!

Old 04-12-2013, 01:52 AM   #19
Tabb
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts

I did a chocolate raspberry stout about a month ago. It is tasting great out of the bottle now. Looking at your recipe the major difference in yours and mine I added 3/4 cup dark chocolate cocoa powder in last few minutes of boil.
I messed up put lactose in then as well. Should have waited to get a good reading.
Secondary was racked on to 4oz. Cocoa nibs and 4oz raspberry extract. I should have only used 3 Oz.
The raspberry is kinda strong but its fantastic.

Quick Reply