Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Chocolate beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2007, 04:23 PM   #1
paranode
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Chocolate beer?

So I have a friend I was talking to about my new homebrewing hobby and she mentioned that she had once had a chocolate beer that she really liked. She couldn't remember what it was called but she said she's tried to find it again and couldn't. She said it's not a chocolate stout because she's tried that and it's not the same. I'm guessing whatever she had was a less bitter beer.

Any ideas what it might have been and where I might find a good recipe for it?

Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2007, 04:35 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I work in craft-beer retail, and I haven't seen too many beers that were flavored with chocolate that weren't stouts. Fantome makes a beer that isn't quite a stout, and it has chocolate and chili peppers in it...but I don't even think that it's legal to sell in the states, and your friend probably wasn't talking about Fantome anyway, given how rare it is (especially this one).

It might have been a brown ale of some sort. I can't think of too many other styles, save for stout/porter, that would accept chocolate too well.

You could find a good brown ale recipe and add bakers chocolate and/or cocoa powder to the boil, and see what happens. You may not make the exact brew your friend was talking about, but it'll probably be pretty good nonetheless. Apologies that I can't be of more help.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 03-12-2007, 04:38 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Lots of posts and recipes via search. Not so many commercial versions out there. Most chocolate or mocha ales use chocolate malt, but no chocolate or cocoa.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-12-2007, 04:40 PM   #4
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts

Miller makes a great chocolate beer that's not a stout. It's sold under the Frederick Miller label. Not a session beer, but good for one or two.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:08 PM   #5
joshpooh
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I do not reccommend using bakers chocolate, I tried this with a stout kit when I was a little less experienced and it didn't come out very well. I can honestly say that is the only beer I have made that I would call bad. I never tried the same kit and same procedure minus the chocolate, but I still believe it was the chocolate that made it bad. It had an extremely bitter taste, but not the taste you get from hops, it almost tasted like you were eating plain unsweetened bakers chocolate. It did mellow out with age and taste ok, but it simply tasted like a regular stout. The chocolate didn't seem to add much to it after it aged. I would reccommend using a chocolate malt and doing a mini mash, or maybe even just steeping. A little will go a long way though, I wouldn't use more than 1 pound per a 5 gallon batch.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:17 PM   #6
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshpooh
I do not reccommend using bakers chocolate, I tried this with a stout kit when I was a little less experienced and it didn't come out very well. I can honestly say that is the only beer I have made that I would call bad. I never tried the same kit and same procedure minus the chocolate, but I still believe it was the chocolate that made it bad. It had an extremely bitter taste, but not the taste you get from hops, it almost tasted like you were eating plain unsweetened bakers chocolate. It did mellow out with age and taste ok, but it simply tasted like a regular stout. The chocolate didn't seem to add much to it after it aged. I would reccommend using a chocolate malt and doing a mini mash, or maybe even just steeping. A little will go a long way though, I wouldn't use more than 1 pound per a 5 gallon batch.
Dif'rent strokes, I guess. Both of my chocolate stouts (which used baker's choc) turned out great.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 03-12-2007, 05:44 PM   #7
Torchiest

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've made a chocolate porter twice using cocoa and it's come out great. The cocoa does provide significant bitterness, so I go light on the hops to keep it balanced.

#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Old 03-12-2007, 06:06 PM   #8
Prez
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

What about Fuller's London Porter? That's pretty chocolately. It's no longer available where I live, but fully worth it if you can find a place to special order. And there's a clone recipe in the latest BYO 150.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:33 PM   #9
Hinez57SouthernScotsman
Recipes 

Default Rouge's Chocolate Stout

Rouge has a "Chocolate Stout" in 22oz bottles... IT ROCKS!!!

It doesn't seem to suffer from the "bitterness" others are mentioning. You get a good malty start and a coffee finish with a nice mild chocolate finish/aftertaste. Nice body too!

PM

Old 03-12-2007, 06:39 PM   #10
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Hob goblin is quite chocolatey as well.
(May latest one is anyway)