Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Chilling during primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
blasbek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Chilling during primary

I was planning on putting my primary fermenter in a spare fridge around day 14, and leaving it there for a week. I will be removing air lock, covering with foil for suck back, etc. any other issues or advice. I don't think I have a way of chilling incrementally over several days as I have heard others do.... Will this be a problem?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 302 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 53

What are you attempting to do by doing this?

I would use an airlock to maintain a seal as foil allows the possibility of too much air which will ruin your beer...unless you really like green Jolly Ranchers.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasbek View Post
I was planning on putting my primary fermenter in a spare fridge around day 14...
Why day 14? I would advise you to make certain the beer has reached its terminal gravity before dropping the temp to typical refrigerator temperatures.

Quote:
...and leaving it there for a week.
Are you doing this in an effort to "cold-crash" your beer for clarity and cleanliness?

Quote:
I will be removing air lock, covering with foil for suck back, etc.
Is there anything else in the refrigerator? I would be less concerned about suck-back than using only foil as a barrier.

Quote:
any other issues or advice. I don't think I have a way of chilling incrementally over several days as I have heard others do.... Will this be a problem?
only other advice would be to buy a Johnson controller or similar device to control the temperature of the fridge you are using.

Chad

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

Old 01-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
JimRausch
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Are you trying to cold crash? Or lager?
I'm a little wary of just foil on the top. If it gets skewed or gets a split or just doesn't cover completely, it might let in some contamination.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
blasbek
Recipes 

Yes, cold crash, not lagering.

I read various posts about using sanitized foil and securing it firmly to the fermenter. It seemed fairly foolproof and avoided any water being sucked in from airlock. Fridge has lots of bottles of beer in, nothing else. And day 14 as I always do 2 weeks in primary.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #6
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasbek View Post
Yes, cold crash, not lagering.
It should be fine for cold-crashing. Again...I would take gravity readings to ensure terminal gravity and I would keep the airlock in rather than the foil. You do not want to add oxygen to your beer at this point (at all).

Quote:
I read various posts about using sanitized foil and securing it firmly to the fermenter. It seemed fairly foolproof and avoided any water being sucked in from airlock.
Water suck-back (I use a Star San solution as my airlock liquid) is far less worrisome than oxygenating your beer.

Quote:
Fridge has lots of bottles of beer in, nothing else.
Invest $60 in a Johnson Controller.

Chad

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

Old 01-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #7
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 302 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 53

If I cold crashed, I would be putting the beer into a fridge set to 30-32 and crash quickly, not slowly over a week period, after a few days I would rack while cold. Again, I really don't see the point of foil, it isn't air tight and adds extra work to accomplish what an air lock is designed to do.

Quick Reply