Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Chill Haze driving me insane

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2010, 05:43 PM   #31
tunoffun
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarp View Post
Yes, this often helps but is definitely not a 100% solution. I've got beers in my beer fridge that have been chilling at 32 for several months and still exhibit chill haze on pouring.
Which would make sense, I think. To my understanding (and I could certainly be wrong here), chill haze is simply the collection of very low molecular weight proteins that come out of solution upon cooling. They're so light that it takes alot of time for them to settle out. And since they're so light, even a tiny bit of turbulence is going to cause them to get stirred right up again.

I'm trying to correct this very problem w/ my current batch (fermenting). I plan on transfering over to a secondary, cooling to below my lowest anticipated serving temp, fining w/ a protein-specific agent after a couple days, keep the beer at this low temp for at least a week more, and then racking carefully off the sediment to bottle. We'll see how it goes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2010, 09:16 PM   #32
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Just found this thread doing a search on Chill Haze. since it's already revived, I'll throw my questions out there. I use Iriash Moss, 1tsp at 15 minutes (5 gallon batch). Also recently started using gelatin as well. I just noticed that what I thought in the past was my beer not being matured enough, may indeed be chill haze.

Here's a Bell's 2 Hearted Pale Ale fresh from the tap -

Here it is about 15 minutes later (warmer)

And 30 minutes later

Old 04-15-2011, 02:52 AM   #33
drkaeppel
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 141

My latest brew also has some pretty noticeable chill haze. Although it does not really bother me, I do wonder what causes it. I used Irish Moss and let it sit in primary for a full month so I think I can rule those out. I should also add that my beer is crystal clear when it's at room temp.

Recently I found this page. http://www.foamrangers.com/malts.html

It said that if you use 2-Row or 6-Row as your base grains you need to do a protien rest to avoid chill haze. I'm pretty new to AG, so my next step is to figure out what the heck a protien rest is and what it involves

Can anyone verify this?

-Dave

"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for the day.Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk the rest of his life." -Anonymous

Old 04-15-2011, 03:11 AM   #34
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

A protein rest is letting the mash sit around 122F for a short time. It can reduce chill haze forming proteins and also proteins useful for head retention. It's no longer necessary with any malts widely available to home brewers today. It can do more damage than good.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:33 PM   #35
Homebrewtruth
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I didn't drink a clear home brew beer until I removed the chlorine from the water using Campdem tablets. I'm not sure how this could be related chemically, but that is my experience.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:02 PM   #36
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

The best way to get rid of chill haze is with irish moss/whirlfloc at 10min in the boil, and to get an excellent cold break by chilling your wort as fast as humanely possible. The more insoluble proteins and lipids you can drop out as trub, the better, and the best way to do that is to drop the temperature on your hot wort as fast as you can- the faster you do, the more stuff will drop out.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

604brewer Likes This 
Old 03-02-2012, 03:09 AM   #37
MaynardX
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Been having trouble with chill haze in my past four brews and can't figure out why. Ive never had the problem before. They are all different yeast strains, so I am ruling out the yeast flocc. One is a big IPA and another is a lager brewed with rye. The hop bill and the rye might be the culprit with those, but I can't figure out why the other 2 are cloudy: a Belgian strong ale and an English bitter. The strong ale has been sitting in the cooler at 35 deg for 2 months now and hasn't cleared up a bit. The bitter has only been in the cooler for a week. I keg and use a plate chiller. In the winter time, my hose water is super cold,so I can get 10g of wort to chill to 60 degs in 15-30 mins. I also use 2T of Irish Moss in all my beers. Anyone have any idea why I can possibly still have haze?

Bottle: Rochfort 10 Clone, Bourbon Oak Pumpkin Ale
Keg: Kolsh, Marzen, Saison, Belgian Strong Ale, Brewskie the Elder,Pomegranate Apfelwien, Rye Dortmunder Export, English Bitter

Old 03-02-2012, 03:32 AM   #38
psymonkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I recently had some store-bought beer and found myself turned off by the crystal-clarity..I didn't trust it I've had success with wihirfloc tablets, and a irish moss before that but am coming to the realization that I don't care all that much and am enjoying that feeling.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:18 AM   #39
MaynardX
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psymonkey View Post
I recently had some store-bought beer and found myself turned off by the crystal-clarity..I didn't trust it I've had success with wihirfloc tablets, and a irish moss before that but am coming to the realization that I don't care all that much and am enjoying that feeling.
I personally do not care whether my beer is hazy or not and I agree with the whole "drinking out of a ceramic mug" philosophy. However, competition judges do! So, for some cruel, masochistic reason, I semi do not enjoy getting my beers raped by some unknown BJCP certified judge's opinion. Therefore, I would like to solve this mysterious beer haze phenomenon!
Bottle: Rochfort 10 Clone, Bourbon Oak Pumpkin Ale
Keg: Kolsh, Marzen, Saison, Belgian Strong Ale, Brewskie the Elder,Pomegranate Apfelwien, Rye Dortmunder Export, English Bitter

Old 03-13-2014, 07:59 PM   #40
DylanTO
Recipes 

Likes Given: 33

I know this is an old thread, but in case anyone is interested, the following link seems to have greatly improved the clarity of my beer. Also, it's super easy.
I also use the Brunwater spreadsheet for water adjustment, and because of that I usually don't have to add any calcium to the boil, because I get nice big fluffy hot-break flakes.

http://beerandwinejournal.com/proper-boil-ph/

Quick Reply