Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Chill Haze driving me insane

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2009, 02:34 AM   #11
Jmac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I dont think that I have made a clear beer yet as I cant keep from drinking it.. I started brewing 10 gallon batches in hops to build up a pipe line but I just started drinking more! Go figure!

Old 04-22-2009, 06:20 AM   #12
CABeerMaker
Recipes 

What I do to kill my haze is Irish Moss in the boil. Then I take my kettle and set it in the sink packed with ice to quick cool to around 80. Then I add to fermenter and top with cool water and usually pitch yeast when temps are near 65-70 range. When I transfer to secondary I add a little gelatin to help. Good news is it doesn't affect taste.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2009, 01:47 PM   #13
sundaybrewingco
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

And if people complain about the chill haze, just tell them they could have a Smirnoff Ice or a Wine Cooler instead...

Old 06-01-2009, 07:36 PM   #14
undallas
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaybrewingco View Post
And if people complain about the chill haze, just tell them they could have a Smirnoff Ice or a Wine Cooler instead...
Those are pretty hazy drinks...

Happy Brewing

Old 06-01-2009, 10:57 PM   #15
BrewN00b
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I tried something new that I assure you will bring your wort down to pitching temps in minutes. The day before you brew you take two gal of filtered water and put .5 gal each into 4 one gal plastic bags, freeze them solid. one brew day cut open the bag and dump one
bag at a time into the hot wort. With 3 bags it should be plenty cool. Mine was cooled to 67F within 3 minutes and almost perfectly topped of at 5 gal.

I bet it works for you too.

Primary Fermenter: English ESB

Secondary: EMPTY :(

Secondary: Empty :(

Old 06-01-2009, 11:47 PM   #16
DeafSmith
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

My experience has been that my beer gets chill haze immediately upon being cooled. It begins to clear up a little after a week in the fridge, it's pretty clear after two weeks, and crystal clear after three weeks.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:17 PM   #17
steve57765
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99 View Post
Ceramic mugs...it doesn't cure haze, but if you don't see it it won't affect your taste perception...
thats what charlie paps says in his book

Old 06-11-2009, 02:22 AM   #18
GMC
Recipes 

Here's the easiest way to get rid of chill haze,but you'll need a fridge to do it.Cool the beer in the secondary to below your regular serving temp.eg,if you serve it at 40 deg.,chill it to 36 deg. Wait a couple of days for the chill haze to form.Pour in your finings.I use gelatin,it works everytime.Wait for the chill haze to drop out and then bottle,or keg,whichever you use.When you serve it at your regular serving temp...Voila,no chill haze.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:14 PM   #19
MBM30075
Recipes 

What is the general consensus about freezing spring water? Seems like a good idea to me, and seems like it would work quickly. Also, you'd be using an "internal" ice bath, so it seems much more efficient. Any downsides, though? Like, the parts that are affected first (i.e., the right-at-boiling-temperature wort), would they be cooled TOO quickly? Is that possible? If this WOULD work, it would really, REALLY simplify the wort cooling process. So, what drawbacks?

Old 08-27-2009, 01:48 AM   #20
HOP-HEAD
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Frozen, purified water (or pre-boiled) works fine... but you'll need a new plan when you go to full boils... as most do.

Quick Reply