Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Chill Haze driving me insane

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2008, 01:24 PM   #1
grasshopper1917
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Chill Haze driving me insane

Im not sure what I can do to help with chill haze on my beer it seems to happen totally randomly. I make mostly coopers prehopperd kits with malt extract and a bit of sugar. I leave it in primary for a week then rack to secondary for 2-3 weeks.

It seem like 50% of my batches I suffer with chill have - but I cant figure out why only some. For instance some of the batches I leave in secondary for 2 weeks are crystal clear while some i leave in for 3 weeks get the haze.

The are all clear in the bottle - it is just when i get them chilling in the fridge that some pour cloudy. Its not that I dont enjoy them jut as much - just wish i could figure out why some get the haze and some not??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2008, 01:32 PM   #2
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

Do you brew the same kit every time? If so, then that is a little strange. If not, then I expect your hoppier beers may come a little hazier, as well as anything with wheat or rye in it.

You can reduce chill haze with Irish moss or Whirlfloc in the kettle, as well as by chilling your wort as quickly as possible. Time in cold storage also will eventually clear chill haze.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 04-18-2008, 01:32 PM   #3
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ceramic mugs...it doesn't cure haze, but if you don't see it it won't affect your taste perception...

Old 04-18-2008, 01:40 PM   #4
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 562 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 201

While chill haze seems permanent...it will fade with time at cold termperatures.

Several things may help:

Use whirfloc tablets during the last 10 minutes of your boil.
Use gelatin in your secondary to help bind the yeast and clear the beer.
Give your beers extended chill times...more like 3-5 weeks and not just a day or two in the fridge.

My beers are pretty clear, but I keg.

Last edited by BierMuncher; 04-18-2008 at 03:04 PM.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:00 PM   #5
grasshopper1917
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks for the tips maybe ill buy an old fridge so i chaill my beer over a longer time - usually they are just in for a day or 2 before i drink em

Old 04-18-2008, 02:03 PM   #6
k1v1116
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

just a wild guess but when you say a bit of sugar you mean corn sugar right? you using the kind you get from a home brew store not the stuff from the supermarket? the stuff from a supermarket has cornstarch added to prevent clumping that will cause haze.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:04 PM   #7
Tankard
Recipes 

After the boil, how are you chilling the wort down to pitching temperature? Chill haze can often be caused by too slow of a cool down process. Are you doing an ice bath or using a chiller?

Old 04-18-2008, 08:14 PM   #8
grasshopper1917
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Im making coppers pre hopped kits - they are no boil. I mix the kit - the malt and any sugar in about 5 liters of water on the stove - keep it a hot temp for 15 minutes to kill any bacteria if there may be any - dump er in the fermentor - then top it up with cold cold water to get it down to low 70's.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:30 PM   #9
NWernBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
Ceramic mugs...it doesn't cure haze, but if you don't see it it won't affect your taste perception...
+1

I deal with chill haze as well - mine doesn't really bother me though. If I were in your shoes, with your priorities - I would invest in a way to quickly cool the wort and put the beer in the fridge at least a week before drinking. This should give you a good cold break and the extended cooling will help cause the remaining proteins to drop out...

At least that is my understanding, I don't bother with the clarity because I still have too many other things I am obsessing about.

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. --Frank Zappa

Old 04-22-2009, 01:58 AM   #10
GunnerMan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWernBrewer View Post
At least that is my understanding, I don't bother with the clarity because I still have too many other things I am obsessing about.
Same here but if I am serving to others I make it as clear as possible. That way they don't get the jitters.

Primary : Honeybuns Weizen, Ode to Arthur(with partial sour)
Secondary:
Bottled: Cream of Three Crops, Hazed and Infused Clone
Planned: A green chile beer, I live in New Mexico gotta have the green chile beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckfoot View Post
Two days into my last batch made and the scent of the farts of a thousand rhinos is permeating the basement...

Life is good...

Quick Reply