Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Chile pepper beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2013, 12:38 AM   #31
richlong8020
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Chips and salsa. Sounds soooo good. I like this idea. I've also been working on a chocolate chipotle porter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2013, 05:14 AM   #32
tacks
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 19

At a homebrew competition last week, a guy had me try his habenero beer. He brewed an american ale and "dry hopped" 4 habeneros into his 5 gallon batch. It was the equivalent of maybe some Frank's Red Hot as far as spicy goes, but very complex in taste. I'm not huge on Chili pepper beers but it was something I would definitely be willing to buy a six pack of at the store for the occasional novelty. Anything spicier would have been overkill, anything less would have been a "so where's the heat?" experience.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:46 AM   #33
richlong8020
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

See that's what I'm worried about. I'm thinking 1/4 habanero would be great and you mentioned that guy did 4 habanero peppers. It's crazy how broad it is?!?

Old 05-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #34
tacks
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Well you have to consider that he simply cut them open and threw them into secondary. It's a lot like hops: If you want to get the bitterness out of them, (you can liken this to a pepper's "heat") you put them in the boil to isomerize and utilize the alpha acids for their properties. Likewise, if you just want the flavor and aroma out of them, you dry hop. Dry hopping adds negligible or no bittering properties, and similarly the habanero; uncooked and unpulverized/ground/blenderized to increase surface area and release the peppers' heat and phytochemicals into the beer means that you will get less heat out of them than if you threw them into the boil etc. If you are planning on making a batch of habanero beer, and you are unsure about how to process all of the information you are receiving, I would do a test batch so that you can tailor the recipe to your own taste and flavor. Usually the best way to do that is to brew one batch and if you're going to "dry hop" like the guy I mentioned, toss 1/2 to 1/4 of the batch in each fermenter depending on how many you have and just experiment with different amounts/types of peppers. Best of luck and hopefully you've gotten some good information that will get you moving on this batch!

Old 05-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #35
catdaddy66
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacks View Post
At a homebrew competition last week, a guy had me try his habenero beer. He brewed an american ale and "dry hopped" 4 habeneros into his 5 gallon batch. It was the equivalent of maybe some Frank's Red Hot as far as spicy goes, but very complex in taste. I'm not huge on Chili pepper beers but it was something I would definitely be willing to buy a six pack of at the store for the occasional novelty. Anything spicier would have been overkill, anything less would have been a "so where's the heat?" experience.
I did a serrano amber ale (supposed to be a pale ale but i threw in amber DME and that doubled the malt in the recipe) and dry hopped a half pound for 8 days in the secondary, then added a cut one inch peice of pepper in the bottle. The result was a great amount of heat on the back end but really good pepper flavor on the front.

I have to agree with the poster that said the heat will intensify after the beer carbs up in the bottle. Mine did! At the time I bottled the heat and flavor were mild and I was a bit dissappointed but decided to wait it out. Glad I did, because I got the best heat possible that met every expectation I had hoped for. Anything less would have been ... *SIGH*...

Old 05-06-2013, 02:49 AM   #36
GrantH
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I will be rebrewing mine and will detail the process when I do. I don't care to be egotistical...but mine was damn good and everyone loved it that tried it. I think the pepper-ness of it takes your mind away from the minor flaws in the beer itself...but that is sort of what you're going for to begin with. Give me a month or so, we'll get it going!

Old 05-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #37
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2272 Times on 1977 Posts
Likes Given: 1705

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlong8020 View Post
I want to make my first chile beer what would you recommend? Nothing super crazy hot but enough that would have a nice pepper finish in the end.

Looking to make either a light, amber, or hefe.

Wondering if I should add the peppers to primary, secondary, or in bottling? Should I use dried, frozen, reconstituted, blended?

If you have a link to a really good recipe that I could use that would be even better.

Thanks everybody
I found a clone recipe for "Patty's Chili Beer" from Wynkoop Brewing Co,in CO.
It's listed in The Best of BYO's 250 Classic clone Recipes,page 101.
5G,extract with steeping grains;
OG-1.039
FG-1.007
IBU-23
SRM-4
ABV 4.2%
3.3lb Cooper's Light un-hopped LME
1.5lb light DME
5oz (140g) flaked oats
5oz (140g) Munich malt
1tsp irish moss (it says 60mins??)
1.5oz Saaz hop pellets,3.5%AA-60 minutes
.5oz Saaz hop pellets-10 minutes
10oz (280g) Anaheim peppers (end of boil)
1/2 medium size ancho chili,roasted (end of boil)
WLP002 English ale yeast or Wyeast 1098 British Ale yeast.
3/4C (150g) dextrose for priming.
**** Steep the crushed grain & flaked oats in 3 gallons of water @160F for 30 minutes.Remove grains from wort & drain well. Add LME & DME & bring to a boil.
Add Saaz hop bittering addition & Irish moss & start timer for 60 minutes. During the boil,use this time to de-seed peppers & chop into 1/4" dice. Roast the 1/2 ancho chili over open flame-gas stove or bbq-until lightly charred. chop into 1/4" dice also. Add the Saaz 10 minute addition. Add the chopped chilies at flame out,cover & steep 15 minutes.
>>>Here's where my style comes in. Chill wort in ice bath till down to 75F. It must be poured through a sanitized fine mesh strainer into fermenter to get out pepper peices,etc. Top off with chilled cold water to 5 gallons. This should get the wort down to 64F or so if the top off water was chilled in the fridge a couple days previously as I do. Aerate wort heavily (they say). I do that by pouring wort & top off water through fine mesh strainer in a circular motion. Then stir roughly 5 minutes to mix well & aerate a bit more. Take hydrometer sample & pitch yeast. Wort should be 68F according to recipe at this point. Hold this temp till fermentation is complete. It says to condition 1 week then bottle or keg. What this tells me is the usual 1 week after FG is reached to let the beer clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then package.
<**> It's my educated opinion that much of the extract be added at flame out for that light SRM of 4. In other words,use the 1.5lbs of light DME in the boil. Being 3 gallons,with an average boil off of 1/2 gallons per hour,that 1.5lbs of DME should work fine. If you have an electric stove,roasting the 1/2 ancho chili right on the burners can be done with a close eye.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #38
richlong8020
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Thx man. I'm gonna try this out. I'm also looking into infusions. Vodka and peppers gonna be a good match.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:15 PM   #39
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2272 Times on 1977 Posts
Likes Given: 1705

For shooters with this beer,of course! Double trouble...

Old 05-09-2013, 12:26 AM   #40
richlong8020
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

No not shooters . As an additive to different beers for experimenting.

Quick Reply