LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2012, 04:32 AM   #1
kagythings
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Carmelized Pale Ale

I brewed a Northern Brewer Sierra Madre extract a few months ago and followed the instructions given. I did a full boil and added the LME at the proper timing. After reading multiple posts here in HBT about this I learned to add the LME at flame out. My Pale Ale is darker than it should be, has a caramel flavor and took about 8-10 weeks to carb in bottles. My question is, will the caramel flavor fade with a bit more time or is this the flavor I get until the next home brew is ready to drink?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 04:35 AM   #2
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 39

what was the rest of the grain bill?

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 10-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1295

That's what happens when all the LME is added at the start of the boil. You get mailard reactions that darken the beer & give darker color. You're pretty much stuck with it on this one. Next time,use late extract additions. That'll take care of it. I also took to using plain DME in the boil,half a 3lb bag. The remaining DME & all the LME at flame out,cover & steep 15 minutes. It's still plenty hot enough at that point to pasteurize,which happens about 162F.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
kagythings
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr
That's what happens when all the LME is added at the start of the boil. You get mailard reactions that darken the beer & give darker color. You're pretty much stuck with it on this one. Next time,use late extract additions. That'll take care of it. I also took to using plain DME in the boil,half a 3lb bag. The remaining DME & all the LME at flame out,cover & steep 15 minutes. It's still plenty hot enough at that point to pasteurize,which happens about 162F.
Thanks for the info. I was hoping the caramel flavor would fade but I guess not. It's not too bad but it's not good. haha. I know for next time I do an extract, I've been getting into all grain these last few brews so no problems with the mailard reactions there. Have a good week.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #5
pjcampbell
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

8-10 weeks sounds like a very long time to carb also.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 699 Times on 586 Posts
Likes Given: 215

You may not have been stirring vigorously enough when you added the LME and had some of it sink to the bottom of the pot and caramelize. That would also give you a darker color and the caramel flavor. When I used LME, I would put the container in hot water for quite some time to make it flow more freely and mix in easier.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:02 AM   #7
kagythings
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN
You may not have been stirring vigorously enough when you added the LME and had some of it sink to the bottom of the pot and caramelize. That would also give you a darker color and the caramel flavor. When I used LME, I would put the container in hot water for quite some time to make it flow more freely and mix in easier.
Good call on how slow it poured and I was stirring but not overly vigorous. Live and learn. Next few brews are all grain but I may do an extract on Home Brew Day with a friend that wants to learn how to get into basic brewing. Thanks.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 699 Times on 586 Posts
Likes Given: 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagythings View Post
Good call on how slow it poured and I was stirring but not overly vigorous. Live and learn. Next few brews are all grain but I may do an extract on Home Brew Day with a friend that wants to learn how to get into basic brewing. Thanks.
Put 6 ounces of water in a clear 8 ounce drinking glass. Grab a toothpick for a stirrer and slowly drip in some honey and try to stir that in. The honey (LME) is pretty dense and really likes to sink to the bottom. I think that is how it happened.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #9
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1295

Yes,not taking it off the heat to stirr in thoroughly can cause some of that. but mainly scortching. It's adding all the LME at the beginning of the boil for an hour that does it. That's why late extract additions came about.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
ElyIrishBrew
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I'm about to start a Muntons export pilsner tomorrow. My first brew. So if I do the boil and add half the 3 lb bag of DME at the start, then add the rest of the DME and the (somewhat heated) LME after I pull the pot off the boil and stir them in vigorously and steep with lid on for 15 minutes, that'll do it? Then I can add a bit of water to top off to 5 gallons.

That's what is sounds like. Just want to be sure.

Quick Reply