Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Caribou Slobber suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
Brewmaster_CPA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Caribou Slobber suggestions?

i ordered the kit from NB and was wondering if i should add anything to the recipe or just brew it as is. i saw a couple people mention that a little watery or didn't have a lot of flavor to it, but there are also a ton of great reviews for it. any suggestions are appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
bigebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

In my opinion if it is your first time making that kit, just follow the kit exactly and see how you like it. Then if you decide you want to try another batch with some tweaks you can. I haven't been brewing very long but I think it is best to keep it simple at first and then go from there. I actually just brewed the same kit for the first time last night.

Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields

Old 09-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
wSelwyn
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigebrewer View Post
In my opinion if it is your first time making that kit, just follow the kit exactly and see how you like it. Then if you decide you want to try another batch with some tweaks you can. I haven't been brewing very long but I think it is best to keep it simple at first and then go from there. I actually just brewed the same kit for the first time last night.
+1

I brewed this kit extract around the new year, and it has been one of my best reviewed before I went AG. Go with the instructions, and wait until you see how it turns out with your equipment/process. I found that it got better the longer it was in bottles (2 months was awesome!).

I'll be brewing this AG soon, in a 10gal batch, and doing tests w/ different yeast & adjuncts on a 5gal portion.

-
“Terrorists, Sam. They’ve taken over my stomach. They’re demanding beer.” — Norm Peterson, Cheers

Old 09-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #4
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Agreed, I brewed the AG version then kegged it. Been in the keg for about 1.5 months and tastes better every time I pull a pint. Although my kegerator temp is at 40 degrees, I feel you get the best taste when it warms up a bit, about halfway thru the glass.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
CTownBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

This was my first AG brew a little over a year ago. I let it sit for 2 weeks in secondary on 3 lbs of Oregon raspberry puree. It came out great & took a bronze medal in a decent size local homebrew competition.

You could still taste the roast from the base beer & some hop bitterness, but the raspberry added a little something extra. Essentially, this was a brew for my wife, but i still wanted something I could still enjoy since I'm not a huge fan of real fruity beers.

Secondary 1
: Port BA American Sour w/Raspberries
Secondary 2: Baltic Porter
Now On Tap: New Zealand IPA, Belgian Dark Strong w/Anise & Cinnamon, Imperial Red Ale
Upcoming Brews: Port BA American Sour w/Cherries, Doppelbock, Belgian Golden Strong, Peanut Butter Imperial Porter

Quick Reply