Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Caribou Slobber FG???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2012, 11:05 PM   #21
CBXBob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Drinking Caribou Slobber today. Brewed 4-23, 1.054 OG, Danstar Windsor dry yeast. 5-4-12 FG 1.013, bottled. First taste 6-15-12, a bit flat, somewhat bitter. Every taste since then better, and better. Today, good flavor, no bitterness, could use more head, and lacing, I'm not complaining!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 02:54 AM   #22
MicahB
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I brewed a batch on 8/4 hitting my OG on the money, checked it last Sunday and it was only down to 1.020, so I shook the primary back up to try to rouse some yeast back into suspension. This batch had a warm start for the first 24hrs(71-72 F) so that may have been part of it, guess we'll see if it does any better in another week or so.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:40 AM   #23
rales
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Just bottled a batch of Slobber today. 2-1/2 weeks primary, 3 weeks secondary. First time I've used Irish Moss - really nice and clear! Tastes great and my FG was 1009... this is going to be a good one!

Old 08-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #24
wyowolf
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed this over a week ago, check the reading Sunday and it was 1.020 down from 1.052. Will let it sit for at least another week or two.. was about 80 when i pitched the yeast yeah i know, forgot to check temp!! DOH!!

but the sample i had was pretty good starsan everywhere!! and everything!!

Old 08-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #25
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifester View Post
My OG was right on at 1.052 and my FG was finished at 1.020 (dry yeast) after three weeks in the primary. It is tasty, enjoy!
I just kegged my Slobber and I had an SG of 1.055 but a FG of 1.021. The Windsor yeast obviously wasn't the best choice and I've read many posts about it's attenuation problems at times.
But, it tasted great in the test jar. It'll only be about 4.6%ABV but I'm thinking the real deal is likely 5.5%. I don't chase ABV and just hope the flavor is good.
I plan to leave it in the keg for 3 weeks before putting it in the kegerator.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:05 AM   #26
WineIsRed
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 12

OG - 1.052
FG - 1.020

2 weeks primary and 2 weeks secondary with Windsor yeast.

It tastes great, but a bit too sweet. Next time I'm thinking of doing a big starter and adding a pound or 2 of corn sugar to dry it out more.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:08 PM   #27
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I never posted back but this was still very good. It didn't last long. It actually conditioned in the keg for 4 weeks before going into the kegerator. A week later, we started drinking it. After another week, it hit peak awesomeness. Then it magically disappeared.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #28
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I just bottled a BIAB based on NB's AG recipe over the weekend. Had an OG of 1.052 with a FG of 1.018. Used Wyeast 1332 with no starter. My hydro sample tasted awesome! Can't wait for this one to finish conditioning!

Old 11-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #29
dodeebryan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Been reading posts on Caribou slobber, I brewed this a few weeks ago and let sit in primary for 2 weeks. I racked to secondary last night 11-27. I would like to have ready by Christmas. Recipe kit say 1-2 weeks in secondary. Then 2 weeks in bottles and I will be ready to crack open at Christmas. But the more I read the more I see people letting sit in secondary for up to 4 weeks. Do I need to wait this long or can I bottle after 2 weeks in secondary? And what is happening in there for 4 weeks! That could make it better???

Old 12-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #30
allaway
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I just brewed this kit yesterday evening. It was a lot of fun (though the NB autosiphon tube is way too short! very frustrating trying to siphon from my kettle in the sink to a fermenter on the floor).

However, I have a measured OG of 1.058. Can anyone tell me why this might have happened? I did a 2.5 gallon boil and added nearly all of that to the fermenter except for a the hop dregs at the bottom of the pot. I topped the fermenter off with bottled water to the 5 gallon mark on the fermenter, and then took the reading. The temperature at the time of reading was between 69-71. I'm not too bothered as it isn't hugely off, but from what I can tell most other people seem to have an OG of 52-54. I also stirred pretty thouroughly before taking the measurement.

cheers!

Quick Reply