Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Caribou Slobber additions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2012, 02:55 AM   #1
new2brew1221
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Caribou Slobber additions

I am planning on brewing NB's Caribou Slobber, and was wandering if anyone has any experience with this kit and additions to it. I would like to have a smooth, easy drinking beer in about a month or so. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2012, 03:07 AM   #2
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I was going to brew this tonite but had something come up and will try later this week. I plan on following the recipe as it's rated pretty high by users so I'm not going to vary anything.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
new2brew1221
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

That's what I was thinking too

Old 08-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
evrose
Recipes 

Liked 300 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 234

Assuming you're a relatively new brewer, DON'T MESS WITH IT. Focus on process first. Then focus on process second. And thirdly, focus again on process.

Once you have a few brews under your belt, and you have some sense of what different ingredients actually do to a beer, then you should start tweaking established recipes. The Caribou Slobber kit is fantastic as is (I've made it myself). Without a good understanding of ingredients and how they effect a beer, you're more likely to make it worse if you modify it right now.

Just my opinion...

Old 08-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
Beer-lord

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evrose
Assuming you're a relatively new brewer, DON'T MESS WITH IT. Focus on process first. Then focus on process second. And thirdly, focus again on process.

Once you have a few brews under your belt, and you have some sense of what different ingredients actually do to a beer, then you should start tweaking established recipes. The Caribou Slobber kit is fantastic as is (I've made it myself). Without a good understanding of ingredients and how they effect a beer, you're more likely to make it worse if you modify it right now.

Just my opinion...
Definitely agree on this one as well as any recipe when starting out. New brewers should stick to well established kits to get the process down. You wil then have the confidence to try new things later. It's not like this will be your only time brewing so follow the recipe exactly and enjoy.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
clonies720
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer-lord View Post
Definitely agree on this one as well as any recipe when starting out. New brewers should stick to well established kits to get the process down. You wil then have the confidence to try new things later. It's not like this will be your only time brewing so follow the recipe exactly and enjoy.
I've brewed one Midwest Supplies Irish Red Ale strictly to the instructions. Now I have a Austin Homebrew Double Chocolate Stout that I added a .5lb of lactose to during the last 5 minutes of the boil. Now I have a Pumpkin Ale that I'm tweaking by adding a few more spices to make it like pumpkin pie (the kit only included brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg).

Basically what I'm getting at is yes it's a great idea to follow the directions at first, but don't be afraid to experiment. I lurk here, Google what I don't know, and use a variety of consulting resources (i.e. books) to get an idea of what to use and how much. I feel as though I've learned much quicker since I'm not afraid to tweak, and I've already got my own from-scratch American Pale Ale recipe that I'm making soon with some spicy Hatch Chiles
Old 08-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
Beer-lord

Recipes 

Either way, you still make beer! Confidence is all that's needed along with having no fears for making mistakes. It's surprising to me how forgiving making beer is. Sometimes you make mistakes and it comes out great and other times you do things perfectly well and s h i t happens!

Old 08-06-2012, 01:30 AM   #8
new2brew1221
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have made two previous batches, the first was a wheat beer that I added orange zest and some coriander to. The second was a brown ale that I did per instructions. I guess a better question would have been : should I add anything to the kit, or is it fine just the way it is.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:36 AM   #9
mb82
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 32

It is awesome the way it is.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:31 PM   #10
grimzella
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 46

it seems like its going to taste great. but mine is carbing up slowly. my brewers best kits seem to carb up in about 3 weeks.. the caribou slobber is at 4 weeks and only seems to be about 1/2 way carbed up. strange because i do everything the same. priming sugar, temp for carbing is around 75deg, i mix sugar well when bottling. i just dont understand why this kit is taking so long to carb, i mean its carbing.. just slowly.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS