Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Caribou slobber
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #21
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Solway, MN
Posts: 6,861
Liked 788 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Default

One of the comments on this beer (number 4) mentioned that this beer was a bit thin. That could easily be from not giving it time to mature. Instead of the typical 3 weeks from bottling to sampling, try 5 weeks. I think you will get better beer from doing that.

__________________
RM-MN is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #22
m3n00b
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Orange County, Commiefornia
Posts: 1,133
Liked 147 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
One of the comments on this beer (number 4) mentioned that this beer was a bit thin. That could easily be from not giving it time to mature. Instead of the typical 3 weeks from bottling to sampling, try 5 weeks. I think you will get better beer from doing that.
I thought this beer was too thick and syrupy. I hit the OG/fg right on the money.
__________________
m3n00b is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #23
Hamsterheadsalem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 41
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

I realize this thread is over a year old, but I am drinking a Caribou Slobber as I write this, as I am brewing a chocolate stout. The Caribou is a nice winter beer. I don't know how, but my OG hit 1.070. It ended up being a 7% beer. It turned out great! This one is a do over for me as well as the NB cream ale.

__________________
Hamsterheadsalem is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #24
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Medford, WI
Posts: 3,769
Liked 509 Times on 458 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsterheadsalem View Post
I realize this thread is over a year old, but I am drinking a Caribou Slobber as I write this, as I am brewing a chocolate stout. The Caribou is a nice winter beer. I don't know how, but my OG hit 1.070. It ended up being a 7% beer. It turned out great! This one is a do over for me as well as the NB cream ale.
If your Slobber was the extract kit, the high OG could be from the wort not being thoroughly mixed. You SG sample was from a stratified layer of higher sugar content. The extract kits are usually right on for the recipe OG.

I enjoy Slobber year round.
__________________
flars is online now
WNCBrewman Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2014, 09:36 PM   #25
Hamsterheadsalem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 41
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flars View Post
If your Slobber was the extract kit, the high OG could be from the wort not being thoroughly mixed. You SG sample was from a stratified layer of higher sugar content. The extract kits are usually right on for the recipe OG.



I enjoy Slobber year round.

I think you may be right, however the beer turned out great. I only have a few bottles left.
__________________
Hamsterheadsalem is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 03:26 PM   #26
bunta
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 12
Likes Given: 2

Default

My 2cents: Caribou Slobber was the first batch i cooked from the NB deluxe starter kit. I'm not a beer snob, but i do enjoy a vast variety, unlike most of my friends who drink mostly generic domestics, but everyone of them, family & friends all liked the caribou slobber. I'm almost annoyed i gave so much of it out. IMO, it is a really good beer, taste and texture and pretty easy to make with the extract kit. I would highly recommend this kit for starters (like me).

__________________
bunta is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 03:54 PM   #27
IronLion409
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 34
Likes Given: 1

Default

On my second round of Carribou Slobber. Been in the primary for four weeks now. One of my favorites any time of year.

__________________
IronLion409 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 04:39 PM   #28
petrolSpice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 420
Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Default

Mine was in the primary for two weeks and now in the secondary for 1.5 weeks. The samples I've taken tasted great. It's clearing up nicely in the secondary. Hoping to bottle this weekend!

Has anyone made notable mods to this recipe?

How much priming sugar are you guys using? The recipe says to use 5oz which seems like a lot.

What FG are you getting? I got to 1.020 which I was a little disappointed with. I used Danstar Windsor yeast which from what I can tell does not have very good attenuation.

__________________
petrolSpice is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 05:10 PM   #29
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Medford, WI
Posts: 3,769
Liked 509 Times on 458 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolSpice View Post
Mine was in the primary for two weeks and now in the secondary for 1.5 weeks. The samples I've taken tasted great. It's clearing up nicely in the secondary. Hoping to bottle this weekend!

Has anyone made notable mods to this recipe?

How much priming sugar are you guys using? The recipe says to use 5oz which seems like a lot.

What FG are you getting? I got to 1.020 which I was a little disappointed with. I used Danstar Windsor yeast which from what I can tell does not have very good attenuation.
I've always used WY1332. Usually finishes at 1.012 to 1.013. Just bottled five gallons. Finished at 1.011. Bottle conditioning may improve it, but flat I preferred the batches which finished one or two points higher.

My primary time is three to four weeks. Volume to the bottle was 4.5 gallons. About 16 ounces waste and residual in bottling bucket. Used 4.0 ounces corn sugar for priming.
__________________

Reason: Answer OP question
flars is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 08:09 PM   #30
IronLion409
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 34
Likes Given: 1

Default

I have only Kegged mine. I use WY1332 too and make a small starter. Regarding changeing it up a bit I like hoppy beers and was thinking about a small addition for dry hopping but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Was thinking about an oz of centennial. Would be interested in what others have done as well.

__________________
IronLion409 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NB Caribou Slobber RiffMagnum Extract Brewing 21 03-23-2014 06:48 PM
Caribou Slobber FG??? BigTerp Extract Brewing 42 12-10-2013 01:46 PM
Modifying Caribou Slobber Voodoo_Child Extract Brewing 4 03-08-2012 08:34 PM
First brew NB Caribou Slobber AaronMaine Extract Brewing 21 01-06-2012 11:59 PM
Caribou slobber without kit pyth Extract Brewing 4 12-25-2011 03:19 AM