Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Caribou slobber

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #21
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 788 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 273

One of the comments on this beer (number 4) mentioned that this beer was a bit thin. That could easily be from not giving it time to mature. Instead of the typical 3 weeks from bottling to sampling, try 5 weeks. I think you will get better beer from doing that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #22
m3n00b
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
One of the comments on this beer (number 4) mentioned that this beer was a bit thin. That could easily be from not giving it time to mature. Instead of the typical 3 weeks from bottling to sampling, try 5 weeks. I think you will get better beer from doing that.
I thought this beer was too thick and syrupy. I hit the OG/fg right on the money.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #23
Hamsterheadsalem
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I realize this thread is over a year old, but I am drinking a Caribou Slobber as I write this, as I am brewing a chocolate stout. The Caribou is a nice winter beer. I don't know how, but my OG hit 1.070. It ended up being a 7% beer. It turned out great! This one is a do over for me as well as the NB cream ale.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #24
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 509 Times on 458 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsterheadsalem View Post
I realize this thread is over a year old, but I am drinking a Caribou Slobber as I write this, as I am brewing a chocolate stout. The Caribou is a nice winter beer. I don't know how, but my OG hit 1.070. It ended up being a 7% beer. It turned out great! This one is a do over for me as well as the NB cream ale.
If your Slobber was the extract kit, the high OG could be from the wort not being thoroughly mixed. You SG sample was from a stratified layer of higher sugar content. The extract kits are usually right on for the recipe OG.

I enjoy Slobber year round.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:36 PM   #25
Hamsterheadsalem
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flars View Post
If your Slobber was the extract kit, the high OG could be from the wort not being thoroughly mixed. You SG sample was from a stratified layer of higher sugar content. The extract kits are usually right on for the recipe OG.

I enjoy Slobber year round.

I think you may be right, however the beer turned out great. I only have a few bottles left.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:26 PM   #26
bunta
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

My 2cents: Caribou Slobber was the first batch i cooked from the NB deluxe starter kit. I'm not a beer snob, but i do enjoy a vast variety, unlike most of my friends who drink mostly generic domestics, but everyone of them, family & friends all liked the caribou slobber. I'm almost annoyed i gave so much of it out. IMO, it is a really good beer, taste and texture and pretty easy to make with the extract kit. I would highly recommend this kit for starters (like me).

Old 01-23-2014, 03:54 PM   #27
IronLion409
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

On my second round of Carribou Slobber. Been in the primary for four weeks now. One of my favorites any time of year.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:39 PM   #28
petrolSpice
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Mine was in the primary for two weeks and now in the secondary for 1.5 weeks. The samples I've taken tasted great. It's clearing up nicely in the secondary. Hoping to bottle this weekend!

Has anyone made notable mods to this recipe?

How much priming sugar are you guys using? The recipe says to use 5oz which seems like a lot.

What FG are you getting? I got to 1.020 which I was a little disappointed with. I used Danstar Windsor yeast which from what I can tell does not have very good attenuation.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:10 PM   #29
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 509 Times on 458 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolSpice View Post
Mine was in the primary for two weeks and now in the secondary for 1.5 weeks. The samples I've taken tasted great. It's clearing up nicely in the secondary. Hoping to bottle this weekend!

Has anyone made notable mods to this recipe?

How much priming sugar are you guys using? The recipe says to use 5oz which seems like a lot.

What FG are you getting? I got to 1.020 which I was a little disappointed with. I used Danstar Windsor yeast which from what I can tell does not have very good attenuation.
I've always used WY1332. Usually finishes at 1.012 to 1.013. Just bottled five gallons. Finished at 1.011. Bottle conditioning may improve it, but flat I preferred the batches which finished one or two points higher.

My primary time is three to four weeks. Volume to the bottle was 4.5 gallons. About 16 ounces waste and residual in bottling bucket. Used 4.0 ounces corn sugar for priming.

Reason: Answer OP question

Old 01-23-2014, 08:09 PM   #30
IronLion409
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I have only Kegged mine. I use WY1332 too and make a small starter. Regarding changeing it up a bit I like hoppy beers and was thinking about a small addition for dry hopping but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Was thinking about an oz of centennial. Would be interested in what others have done as well.

Quick Reply