New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Caribou slobber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 12:28 AM   #11
CarboyBoy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I'm drinking a Caribou Slobber right now that I brewed on May 12. I did not strain the hops and break material when I transferred from my boil kettle to my fermenter. Three weeks in the fermenter, then three weeks in the bottle, then 48 hours in fridge before first tasting. The Wyeast option (1332, Northwest Ale) is highly flocculant, and I was surprised how clear it was out of the bottle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2012, 01:35 AM   #12
atimmerman88
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 302 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 667

I want to do this kit but I'm confused about what yeast to use..

Seems I've seen it mentioned several times to us US-05 trying to keep it a bit drier

Untapped

Old 07-13-2012, 03:54 AM   #13
TAPPOOL
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed this twice. Kegged one batch and bottled the other. Both came out fine. I am not a big fan of brown ales but this one sort of grows on you. I let a few friends try it and some loved it and some are like me, good but not my first choice. Strictly a preference in taste. I went by the directions and had no problems but I did use the dry yeast. This beer ages nicely like they say in the reviews on NB so don't get impatient. Let it sit longer then usual.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #14
CobblesBrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Did your Caribou Slobber come out ok without doing the secondary fermentation? This is only my 3rd brew (all extract kits), and based on everything I've read on HBT about the secondary debate, I'm planning to skip it. But this kit does call for dry hopping, so I'm wondering in that case if skipping the secondary is a mistake.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #15
wilsojos
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

I never secondary unless I add something or age for a long time. I made caribou slobber with no secondary and it was fantastic. Everyone liked it.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:09 AM   #16
Brew-Jay
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I'm still new myself, but I would think if you are going to dry hop you would want to do it in the secondary.

“In Vino Veritas, In Cervesio Felicitas” — Anonymous

Old 09-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #17
new2brew1221
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobblesBrew
Did your Caribou Slobber come out ok without doing the secondary fermentation? This is only my 3rd brew (all extract kits), and based on everything I've read on HBT about the secondary debate, I'm planning to skip it. But this kit does call for dry hopping, so I'm wondering in that case if skipping the secondary is a mistake.
I don't do secondary, just leave it in primary for several weeks, then transferred to keg for another week before putting in keezer. After about 4 weeks it is a tasty brew. Good luck

Old 12-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #18
tayo1000
Recipes 

Greetings all, (hope this is the right thread for this)

I'm planning on doing this kit for my first brew and want to do late extract addition to avoid caramelizing too much sugar. Here's my boil plan, what should I change? With the added hop utilization of late extract addition, how much do I need to adjust the amount of hops I use? I would be bummed if this came out too bitter and overwhelmed the intended coffee and chocolate flavors.

1. Steep specialty grains(0.625 lb) in 1.5 gallons of water.
2. Add 1 gallon of water(bringing boil volume to 2.5gal), 1 lb. DME, 2 lb. LME and bring to boil.
3. Add 0.5 oz. US Goldings hops(60 min).
4. Add 0.75 oz. Liberty hops(30 min).
5. Add remaining 4 lb. LME at 15 minute mark.
6. Add 1 oz. Willamette hops(10 min).

I plugged this in the BrewR app on my phone and came out with 20.1 IBUs. But since this is my first brew I dont know how reliable that can be. Any comments from you all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 12-15-2013, 03:25 AM   #19
flars
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I had always poured from my boil kettle to the carboy through a funnel with built in strainer. This removed quite a bit of hop debris. I've begun using a mesh bag inside the same funnel to pour through now. Some people just dump everything in. The only difference is losing a bottle or two of beer which remains in the trub layer if there are lot of hops in the beer.

Skip the secondary. It is not needed to produce a good Slobber.

Keep the wort temperature at or below 66° during active fermentation. I prefer WY1332 for the yeast.

From the primary to the bottling bucket I start the siphon high and gradually lower it to avoid the trub.

Caribou Slobber is a very dark American brown ale. You don't need to take many special measures to improve clarity. Light doesn't pass through a good glassful.

You could buy some Moose Drool to see what it tastes like. Caribou Slobber has a heavier body and much more flavor character than Moose Drool.

I just took advantage of NBs' latest offer. A free Caribou Slobber kit with a purchase of $125 or more, and the on going flat rate shipping until Christmas.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:36 AM   #20
flars
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayo1000 View Post
Greetings all, (hope this is the right thread for this)

I'm planning on doing this kit for my first brew and want to do late extract addition to avoid caramelizing too much sugar. Here's my boil plan, what should I change? With the added hop utilization of late extract addition, how much do I need to adjust the amount of hops I use? I would be bummed if this came out too bitter and overwhelmed the intended coffee and chocolate flavors.

1. Steep specialty grains(0.625 lb) in 1.5 gallons of water.
2. Add 1 gallon of water(bringing boil volume to 2.5gal), 1 lb. DME, 2 lb. LME and bring to boil.
3. Add 0.5 oz. US Goldings hops(60 min).
4. Add 0.75 oz. Liberty hops(30 min).
5. Add remaining 4 lb. LME at 15 minute mark.
6. Add 1 oz. Willamette hops(10 min).

I plugged this in the BrewR app on my phone and came out with 20.1 IBUs. But since this is my first brew I dont know how reliable that can be. Any comments from you all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
You will not carmelize the sugars unless you let the extract sit on the bottom of the kettle to burn. Extract sugars will darken when they are heated, but not carmelize.

Late extract addition will not change hop utilization in any way that you will notice. Look for the recent thread on this and in Northern Brewers forum.

You will enjoy the body and character of this beer. One of my favorites.
Good luck.

Quick Reply