LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2012, 01:34 AM   #1
new2brew1221
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Caribou slobber

I was looking thru the Northern Brewer catalog and came across a brown ale. Has anyone made it? Looking at the reviews on N.B. website, someone said they left the hops in during ferment. My question is, since I am new to homebrewing, when you are moving from the boil to the ferment container, are you supposed to strain the wort? The first batch I brewed, I just gently poured from the boil pot to the ferment bucket. I think I would like to make the Caribou Slobber, but I want it to be as good as possible. Thank you for all the advice and help here on the forum.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 01:54 AM   #2
PondScum
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

There's 3 hop additions at 1oz each. That's a lot of hops for an extract so you'll have some additional trub if you don't use a hop filter bag during the boil or strain the wort when you transfer it into your primary fermenter. You want to avoid dumping everything from the kettle into your primary. If you chill the wort quickly before you transfer, a lot of the 'solids' will settle and make it little easier to transfer without getting all of the hop sediment into the primary.

Some people use hop filter bags or strain the wort. Some people don't.
One of those wonderful decisions that makes homebrews unique.

You could make two batches of it. Strain/filter one batch and not the other and see which one you like best.

Also you could pick up some Moose Drool and see how close you get to it.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:54 AM   #3
msinning
Recipes 

I havent brewed Caribou Slobber yet but I can tell you that when transferring from the boil to the primary fermenter you should strain the wort. If you want to dry hop you can add the hops in when you transfer to the secondary fermenter. To strain the wort I pour it through a large mesh bag into the fermenter and it does a great job of straining out most of the hops from the boil. Whatever gets in will settle to the bottom during fermentation.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:22 AM   #4
ArcLight
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I made the Caribou slobber last summer. It was ok, a bit thin, but still good. I used a hops bag made of some natural fiber (at least its not nylon or polyester). It holds the hops well, though some very fine grains will leak. These bags are cheap, and sold by Northern Brewer: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/n...8-x-9-1-4.html

The one I use I got off Amazon.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:41 AM   #5
wilsojos
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

I made it a few months ago and it is almost gone. I thought it was great and had a lot of flavor. I use a wort chiller and cool it in about 15-20 minutes but don't use a hop strainer. I left it in primary 19 days and bottled. If you like brown ale, you will like it

Old 07-10-2012, 03:27 AM   #6
evrose
Recipes 

Liked 300 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2brew1221 View Post
I was looking thru the Northern Brewer catalog and came across a brown ale. Has anyone made it? Looking at the reviews on N.B. website, someone said they left the hops in during ferment. My question is, since I am new to homebrewing, when you are moving from the boil to the ferment container, are you supposed to strain the wort? The first batch I brewed, I just gently poured from the boil pot to the ferment bucket. I think I would like to make the Caribou Slobber, but I want it to be as good as possible. Thank you for all the advice and help here on the forum.
I just brewed a batch of Caribou Slobber last Saturday, so I have a few weeks until I can tell you how it comes out. It's hard to wait.

I didn't strain the hops out. After chilling the wort, most of the solids fell to the bottom of the boiling kettle. I was just really careful when pouring in to the fermenter. Some gunk got transferred, but it was pretty clean. That junk will make a nice trub while fermenting and will be sitting in a nice big pile when I rack to the bottling bucket, so I expect a clean brew.

If you do want to strain, there's no reason you can't put a fine-mesh strainer under the pour - probably need two people to be safe.

Other tips, if using liquid yeast, make a starter. If using dry, you won't need one.

It's a super easy recipe, the instructions are simple and well detailed. Good luck!

Old 07-10-2012, 03:37 AM   #7
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 608 Times on 515 Posts
Likes Given: 164

I haven't made the Caribou Slobber but I did the NB Nut Brown Ale. I have done a few extracts and others that did not have too many hops. I strained some and others I just poured until the pour was getting thick and left that in the pot. So that I don't lose too much volume I now bag all my hop additions.

You can dump everything into your fermenter. By the time you transfer to your bottling bucket it will be pretty tightly packed at the bottom. You can then siphon being careful not to suck up too much trub. Unless you account for the loss to the trub you might lose a couple of bottles worth.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #8
new2brew1221
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the information. My first batch was a wheat kit, and I poured everything into the fermenter, and although it turned out a good first brew, you can definately taste the hops. Next time I think I will strain it first, and try the Caribou Slobber. The wait will be the hardest part

Old 07-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #9
fosaisu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 101

I'm not sure how much it impacts flavor, but straining as you transfer the wort to your fermenter absolutely helps you get clearer, cleaner looking beer.

Check out this thread for some straining options: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/stra...uckets-128094/

I use the EZ Strainers from US Plastics discussed by the first poster in that thread -- I use two together, a 600 micron on top of a 400 micron (that way the coarser stuff stays in the 600 and doesn't clog up the finer 400, which you would otherwise get clogged up and require more frequent emptying during your straining process). I'm sure you'd be fine using just the 600 micron if you wanted to save a few bucks.

I have been very happy with the results. These strainers nest snuggly into the top of your fermenter bucket so you don't need to worry about them slipping out of place while you're trying to balance your full, 40+ pound brew pot and pour into the fermenter. There are plenty of other workable methods but this is easy, not terribly expensive (I paid $17 for two strainers including shipping), and you lose very little beer while straining (I switched to this from the "careful pour" approach because I was frustrated leaving several beers worth of wort behind in my boil pot while still sending more sediment than I wanted through to the fermenter).

Old 07-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #10
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I have the AG kit coming in soon but likely won't do this for a few weeks. But, it doesn't call for dry hopping and with only 3 ounces of hops, I don't expect you'd get too much leftover. You can strain it from the kettle to the fermenter if you want. Personally, I don't worry about clear or cloudy beer as long as they taste good. Unless you have lots of hops, you should still get a clear brew assuming you let it ferment 3 weeks or so. You can always cold crash if you are able or use gelatin to help a bit.
I've never even had the real thing so I don't know what to expect and don't use kits too much so I'm crossing my fingers.

Quick Reply