Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > carboy vs bucket

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
20000Barrels
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default carboy vs bucket

I would like some feedback on what is better for both primary fermentation and secondary.

I switched to a bucket for primary because it is easier to transport. I can't tell if it's having an impact on the brewing process.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
tom_gamer
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I for one use buckets exclusively.

Only downside that I have heard is the you can't clean buckets properly. You can get scratches in the plastic and have bugs and stuff linger.

I haven't experienced anything that would make me switch away from buckets. Plus I enjoy that ease of cleaning.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/gtsearch.php?cx=016873362520281466893%3Axvnx8yvgpl a&cof=FORID%3A11&q=bucket+vs+carboy&sa.x=0&sa.y=0& siteurl=www.homebrewtalk.com%2F

Old 04-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Um, in reality a fermenter is a fermenter is a fermenter.....glass, plastic, carboy, bucket, jerry can, keg, milk jug, ceramic crock, glass hurricane jar, stainless steel or plastic conicals, pet food storage vessels (vittle vaults), HD or Lowe's buckets, frosting buckets, water jugs, the old Mr Beer jug...All of those and anything you can think of, all work perfectly fine, and have been used by hundreds if not thousands of brewers...

No one type is better or worse than any other...good beer or crappy beer can be made in all of them, dependant onthe brewer, NOT what it's fermented in...

It's really just a matter of preference, nothing more....There's tons of arguments about glass vs plastic and whatever, but they're nothing more than internet masturbation....the yeast don't give a flying ****ady what kind of container the wort it is swimming in.

It really isn't rocket science, it's really about using what works for you.

It won't have an "impact" on the beer one bit.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

People Like This 
Old 04-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
tom_gamer
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
Um, in reality a fermenter is a fermenter is a fermenter.....glass, plastic, carboy, bucket, jerry can, keg, milk jug, ceramic crock, glass hurricane jar, stainless steel or plastic conicals, pet food storage vessels (vittle vaults), HD or Lowe's buckets, frosting buckets, water jugs, the old Mr Beer jug...All of those and anything you can think of, all work perfectly fine, and have been used by hundreds if not thousands of brewers...

No one type is better or worse than any other...good beer or crappy beer can be made in all of them, dependant onthe brewer, NOT what it's fermented in...

It's really just a matter of preference, nothing more....There's tons of arguments about glass vs plastic and whatever, but they're nothing more than internet masturbation....the yeast don't give a flying ****ady what kind of container the wort it is swimming in.

It really isn't rocket science, it's really about using what works for you.

It won't have an "impact" on the beer one bit.
That's a much better way of saying what I meant lol. It's about process.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

I like glass. it doesn't make better beer but for me its easier in every way during the process. I even find them easier to move with a milk crate or the new fancy webbing carriers.

carboys are a permenent purchase for the long haul.

Buckets are cheap and disposable. The biggest issue people bring up is scratching causing sanitation issues.
1: its way over blown
If I can get a year out of a bucket mixing abrasive dolomite slurry into wine must with power tools without sanitation issues,
your pampered and babied beer fermenting bucket will be fine.
2: by the time you've brewed enough to scratch one, you probably have a 2nd or 3rd fermentor anyways so throw the oldest one away and cycle them.
You want a new one anyways. you know you do. so spend the $15 bucks.

bucket staining:
who cares.

buckets smelling like beer:
who cares. You're putting beer in it.
you CAN get the smell out but your soaking times have to approach the total
time they have been absorbing beer odors. If it gets stained and smells like beer, call it your "seasoned dark beer fermentor"
and buy a new bucket. You wanted another fermentor anyways, they are $15

Bucket lids:
bucket lids are a pain. end of story.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:32 PM   #7
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Glass is a luxury. It looks prettier, but the right plastic Better Bottles or plastic Buckets are just as good. The truth is that they all have downsides and upsides. I would say that Better Bottles are a good balance between glass carboys and plastic buckets.

The one big upside to using a clear fermentation vessel is that you can see your beer. This helps to assess if there are any issues with contamination, fermentation, or otherwise.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #8
20000Barrels
Recipes 

Thanks for the feed back.

So in a bucket the extra room vs carboy has no impact on fermentation.

Thanks

Old 04-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #9
H-ost
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20000Barrels View Post
I would like some feedback on what is better for both primary fermentation and secondary.

I switched to a bucket for primary because it is easier to transport. I can't tell if it's having an impact on the brewing process.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Sounds like an answer to me...

Old 04-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20000Barrels View Post
Thanks for the feed back.

So in a bucket the extra room vs carboy has no impact on fermentation.

Thanks
Not really, you're still using a 6 or a 6.5 gallon carboy as a primary fermenter for 5 gallon batches, so there's still head room in there just like in a bucket. So it's really the same. All filled with co2.

So once again, your choice of a fermenter has NO impact on the beer. It's ALL a matter of preference.

In fact in brewing there is rarely a better or best, the only better is what works best for you. If you get my drift. Usually any question you can ask that is summed up as a "something -vs- something else" the answer is going to be, a preference only.

The yeast doesn't usually care.

You can ask 10 different brewers the same questions and you'll get 12 different answers, and usually all of them will be correct.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply