Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > carbonation in Belgian bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
stevestone1988
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default carbonation in Belgian bottles

Hey everyone. When using the Belgian corks instead of caps does it take longer to carbonate or something? Last time I did this bottling method I had to really yank out the corks and the beer was a little flat. It was a tripel and I used about 5oz of priming sugar. Is that normal for homebrew or should it just pop out easily like I'm used to buying in store?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
jerrodm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I can't say from personal experience, because I've not used corks. But I believe Belgians are usually carbonated to a higher number of volumes than many other styles. The amount of sugar you want to use depends on the volume you're bottling and the amount of CO2 already in solution, but for 5 gallons of beer at 65F, NB's priming sugar calculator tells me that you would want something more like 6.5 oz of corn sugar in order to get 3.3 vols of CO2 in your beer. If the temp was closer to 75F you'd want to use closer to 7 oz. Figure out what volume of carbonation you want, then use a calculator to figure out how much sugar you'll need to achieve it.

Cheers

For they garner the succulent berries of the hop and mass and sift and bruise and brew them and they mix therewith sour juices and bring the must to the sacred fire and cease not night or day from their toil, those cunning brothers, lords of the vat. -James Joyce

On deck: Orange Cranberry Wit, Dusseldorf Altbier
Primary: Belgian Partigyle Tripel/Saison, 1/1
Secondary: none
Bottles: Northern Brown Ale, 1/10; English IPA, 12/31; Cider, 12/9; White House Honey Ale AG, 12/9;

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply