I just mixed up a muntons 'Belgian Ale' kit. When I opened the can though there was like a white foamy creamy part on the extract - I didn't see anything like this before? Did I just make a brew that is going to poison me - or is it maybe something that was just a little foamy before they canned it or something??
I will toss it if its dangerous decided to pitch some yeast and see what happens - any advice would be appreciated
From what I've read nothing can go wrong with your beer that would make it "poisonous". It might taste terrible, but nothing harmful. Just keep your fingers crossed and hope the beer comes out drinkable, but don't worry.
Ok was just hoping it wasn't mold or something that would make me really sick - just fermenting now so hopefully everything will be fine - never heard of mod on canned extract so should be ok i guess.. well i hope lol
I have had that in a scattered can when I was doing K&K brews. I think it is just old extract, but couldn't say for sure.
My brews didn't turn out any different when using it, but then again, I didn't like those kits much anyway.
How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....
The expiration date said Feb 2011 I believe - so it shouldnt have been too old - well as long as it doesnt make me sick ill give er a try - is fermenting now - doesnt smell too bad - guess the true test will be in the taste
LME doesn't keep as well as DME. I always use LME within 6 mths after their manufacturing date because they tend to darken with age and develop some sort of difficult to describe funny kit taste. Never had those with DME before.
I am sure the beer would not be toxic but whether it is up to your standard is another issue.