Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Canned hopped malt extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
frumguzzler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Canned hopped malt extract

Bought some canned extract at the brew store for 15$ that makes 5 gallons. This product comes from England. Still scratching my head on how 15 bucks can make 5 gallons. Instructions say only boil for 5 minutes???? Is this product ant good?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You can make drinkable beer with canned kits but generally the instructions that come with it are not that great. Many of them recommend adding a ton of sugar to increase your fermentables.

Some of those kits make 5 gallons, some only 3 gallons. What is the brand and style?

Old 02-01-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
muscleshoalsbrewer
Recipes 

Is this a Muntons kit? I have done a Brewferm 'Abby" style that turned out verynice...
(was supposed to condition for 6 weeks or longer and I only have 4 of 8 ltrs left). needless to say it tastes alot better than a store bought still!

Old 02-01-2009, 04:02 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

All a matter of ABV and style. You'd never get an IPA kit for that much, but a Bitter, Mild or Brown? No problem. Pre-hopped kits generally are no-boil or boil just long enough to sanitize.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-01-2009, 06:49 PM   #5
Pogo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There are even cheaper cans of hopped malt extract out there that will also yield decent 5-gallon batches of beer.

Your stats don't indicate where you're located, but look in the syrup section of your local supermarkets for 2.2 pound kits (a can of extract, plus a packet of yeast) of hopped "Premier Malt Exract" for under $6.00US.

There is also a thread in this very same forum devoted to the above extract that may answer some of your questions about extract brewing in general.

Pogo

Quick Reply