Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Can "Mash Hops" hops addition go in at extract?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2011, 07:16 PM   #1
JoeBronco
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Can "Mash Hops" hops addition go in at extract?

OK, so im brewing a beer that requires a "MH" or Mash hops addition of 1.5oz Chinook. My question is can i add the hops to my mash when i add my grains or extract instead? Or should i forget about the Chinook altogether?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
straylight77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Is this the same thing as First Wort Hopping (FWH)? If so I was wondering the same thing myself. To say it another way, if the hops were steeped along with the specialty grains (for extract brews) would it have the same effect as adding them during the sparge (for all-grain)?

Old 01-19-2011, 01:26 PM   #3
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Mash hops are added to the mash and left in during the sparge, First Wort Hops are added at the start of the sparge and usually left in for the duration of the boil. For an extract batch I'd put the Mash hops in my grain steeping bag and steep for as long as the mash is specified in the original AG recipe.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 01-19-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
JoeBronco
Recipes 

Great! Thanks.

I didnt word my question the greatest, but thats what i was planning on doing (thats what i meant when i said "add the hops to my mash when i add my grains) I was hoping that i would still be able to add the Chinook to the beer. Since i already bought it and all.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:15 PM   #5
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Out of curiosity are you making Mike McDole's Tasty APA? I just kegged mine and am waiting for it to carb up, the hydro samples were damn tasty!

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 01-19-2011, 05:24 PM   #6
JoeBronco
Recipes 

No, But ill have to look into it... im a HUGE fan of hops, so im going with the Pliny the Bastid (Supposedly 278 BU's!) Its calling for 10oz of hops in the boil with an additional 11.25oz in dry hopping for a total of over 21oz of hops!!!

Quick Reply