Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Can I use sugar instead of malt extract?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
grahamtwatson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Can I use sugar instead of malt extract?

I've already started making a 5 gallon batch of bitter, but have just realized that they only put 6 pounds of LME in the kit instead of the 9 pounds that the recipe calls for. I've got a spare 1 pound of DME I can add, should I throw a couple of pounds of sugar in there as well, given I've no way of getting more malt extract today?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2003 Times on 1754 Posts
Likes Given: 1475

What kit is this? Generally,sugar isn't as good as extract. It gives thinner,drier beer.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
stevedasleeve
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You can & it will up the gravity an ABV but it will also dry out your beer - it won't be the same beer but it might be great! With no other choice I'd go ahead , or you can just make a smaller batch.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2731 Times on 1638 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

It would not be the same beer, BUT it will be a do able beer. If you wanted to take a few extra minutes, you can even make it better than using plain WHITE sugar. Take the two pounds of sugar and some water and boil it in a pan til you've made a dark caramel and add that to the boil along with the dme. A lot of bitters use a caramel syrup, like Lyles or dark sugar to achieve some of that caramel depth of flavor.

This would be a good opportunity for some experimentation

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-25-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
grahamtwatson
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Doh! Panic over, I was reading the wrong side of the instructions, and read the 9 lb of grain that would have been required if I wasn't doing extract. Turns out I've got everything I need in the right quantities, the only thing missing is my being smart enough to read the right recipe

Old 11-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
grahamtwatson
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

By the way, thanks for all the rapid and helpful responses! This is a great forum

Old 11-26-2012, 01:24 AM   #7
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 2

FYI, if you do ever get into this situation, you can add additional fermentables (extra extract) after fermentation has started. Just dissolve in water, boil for 10 minutes to drive off O2, cool and add. It will make fermentation last longer.

Quick Reply