Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Can a Auto siphon break

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2009, 02:05 AM   #1
Steven4est
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Can a Auto siphon break

My auto siphon wont get my beer to flow?

Could it be broken??

Wasnt sure if it was even possible for them to break without any visual evidence

I have to use my mouth to siphon it with the auto siphon and then dip the end in the sanitizer right befoore the beer comes out, is this okay?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2009, 02:15 AM   #2
Doc Robinson
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Have you ever used an auto siphon before? If you are using it properly and it isn't working, the seal between the outer tube and the inner tube that creates the suction might be compromised. How many times are you pumping it? Sometimes you need to give it a good 4 or 5 pumps to get it flowing.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:15 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Well usually if the break they break at the bend, but that's NOT what you are talking about...

I've found that people who are having issue with their A/S are usually using too large a size of plastic tubing on the end....try using a plastic hose clamp like this, over the hose somewhere along the length before the bend.

Other people have found that the gasket on the bottom end of the racking tube (that fits inside the big tube) may be bad, or dried, some have added some keglube/foodgrade silicone grease around it to make a better seal, others just put some water on top of the gasket (like with a turkey baster) inside the tube, and that makes for an air tight seal.

Hit or miss Autosiphons are hit or miss usually because of a bad seal in one of the two afore mentioned spots.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-29-2009, 03:56 AM   #4
JDennis
Recipes 

My first one broke. There is a small plastic tab at the bottom that stops liquid from pushing back out thru the bottom. Acts kinda like the counter-pressure setup on a bottling wand. Mine fell out and disappeared at some point. If it's pulling beer up then pushing it back out the bottom rather than thru the hose, that's probably what it is.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:02 PM   #5
PhillyBeerGuy
Recipes 

I second what JDennis said.

If you can take the racking tube (smaller tube) completely out and then pour water in the larger tube and it all runs right out (really fast not gradually pouring out around the little plastic tab), you are missing the little plastic piece that makes it an autosiphon. It that piece is missing all you have is an awkward 2 piece siphon and you can just use the inner racking tube alone to do what you were describing with sucking and sanitizing.

There are also better ways to start a siphon than sucking, some searching on here should lead you to those, but I would suggest getting a new autosiphon.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:51 PM   #6
IceFisherChris
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The check valve is the bottom is most likely broken. I'm doing this by memory/guess but take out the inside tube. Then put your mouth on the top of the tube and try to blow air through. there should be a good amount of resistance or no air should go through.

The way the auto siphon works: the racking tube is pulled upward creating a vacuum. This will pull liquid up through the valve on the bottom and into the main tube. When you push down on the racking tube, there will be positive pressure and this will CLOSE the check valve (so your beer cannot go back into the carboy.) The beer will be forced up through the racking tube. Once the beer in the tube has a lower altitude that the top of the beer in the carboy, a siphon is created.

If the valve is broken, you might be able to create a siphon by pumping the tube faster.

Last edited by IceFisherChris; 12-30-2009 at 02:01 AM.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:53 AM   #7
crammer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDennis View Post
My first one broke. There is a small plastic tab at the bottom that stops liquid from pushing back out thru the bottom. Acts kinda like the counter-pressure setup on a bottling wand. Mine fell out and disappeared at some point. If it's pulling beer up then pushing it back out the bottom rather than thru the hose, that's probably what it is.
I'm on my second one now because of this same issue. However, I popped the tab out by accident while I was cleaning it.

CRAMMER RULES!

On Deck - too many to list
Primary -
Secondary 1 -
Secondary 2 -
Keg 1 -
Keg 2 -
Keg 3 -

Old 12-30-2009, 02:34 AM   #8
tom777
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My first one broke. Rather, I should say I broke it. Couldn't get the hose off and snapped the racking tube part off at the bend.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:48 AM   #9
jcobbs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Well usually if the break they break at the bend, but that's NOT what you are talking about...

I've found that people who are having issue with their A/S are usually using too large a size of plastic tubing on the end....try using a plastic hose clamp like this, over the hose somewhere along the length before the bend.

I couldn't get one of these clamps at my LHBS but I found that if I push my tubing all the way up to the bend at the top of the autosiphon, I get a good seal.

...and if Revvy doesn't do something about that avatar I'm gonna go blind

Old 01-04-2010, 05:30 PM   #10
coryforsenate
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Never buy autosiphons unless you've found one that's not made of plastic.

They break far too easily and often for no reason other than they're so cheaply made that earth's gravity causes it to get hairline fractions all throughout the tube.

Hefeweizen
Hard Cider
Tripel w/wine tannins
Weizenbock

Primary
Dark Strong
Tripel

Quick Reply