Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Bug in my Starter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2007, 10:37 PM   #1
crowsmith8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bug in my Starter

During the weeks it took to drink my first home brew I collected the yeast from the bottom of the bottles (I would have done this after primary or even secondary if I had realized at the time, but I was an extreme noob, now I'm just a noob, and didn't know I could reuse yeast). I plan on brewing tonight, so I made a starter yesterday. When I poured the contents of the collected yeast into the starter wort, I saw a very tiny bug (it looked like a big gnat or a small fly) floating at the top. I believe that the bug came from the collected yeast. But there was no mold or anything weird growing in the bottle containing the yeast. What should I do? Should I dump the starter and just use a package of dry yeast I have for emergencies? The starter was bubbling this morning, so I know that the yeast is okay? Should I just pour out the bug and use the starter, or am I asking for an infection if I do this? Please help? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2007, 10:53 PM   #2
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

bugs are protien. prolly a fruit fly, they don't drink much either...

it should be fine mate.

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:08 PM   #3
crowsmith8
Recipes 

anyone with a PigPen avatar must know what they are talking about. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply