Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Briess Wheat DME v LME

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2009, 07:15 PM   #1
chode720
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Briess Wheat DME v LME

I just got done brewing a Hefeweizen and the color came out darker than I wanted. I use a late malt extract addition and added 75% for the last 15 minutes. I was hoping for a nice yellow color, but it came out more as a deep gold/orange color.

When I was checking the Briess website, they say their wheat extract is a 2-6 Lovibond and this is the number I used for my recipe. When I looked closer, it says the Wheat LME is a 2-6 and the DME is 6-10.

It doesnt make sense to me that the DME would be that much darker than the LME. Has anyone else seen/experienced this before and know if these numbers are right or not?

Cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
Tenchiro

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Extract Hefe's are always going to have at least a slight orange tint to them. I have brewed them with both LME & DME and unless you can do a full volume boil you are always going to see it a bit. Even then from what I have read the straw color most people shoot for is very hard to attain with extract.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:55 PM   #3
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I have not brewed a pure extract batch in quite a while, but you may be adding too much heat to your kettle. To minimize darkening, turn down the heat until the boil is just barely sustained. A gentle, rolling boil is all that's needed to isomerize alpha acids and drive off undesirable compounds like chlorine and DMS.

Kegged: Porter, Scottish 80, Pils, Orange Blossom Mead

Old 03-21-2009, 08:14 PM   #4
chode720
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I am planning on switching to a full wort boil. I figured the darker color came from this, not a difference in extract color. However, because the numbers are listed different on the Briess website, I was wondering if anyone knew if there is a difference in color between the Briess Wheat DME and LME or it is a typo.

Briess Malt & Ingredients Co.: Malt Extracts LME and DME (this says 2-6)
http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Ass..._Wheat_DME.pdf (this says 6-10)

Quick Reply