The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Briess Pilsen DME vs. Golden Light DME

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2009, 03:41 AM   #11
undallas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaStateFan View Post
I can't speak for Briess, but I did use 100% Munton's extra light to make a German style pilsner. While it was on par, it was a tad bit darker than a good pils. The flavor was wonderful and the color was close enough for me. On the other hand I used the same Munton's extra light in a partial mash American Amber and found that the color and body were too light for the style.

Bottom line, I agree with the other posters that suggest using the extra light/pilsner DMEs when you would want a pilsner base malt and the regular light DMEs for regular 2-row base malt.
I think coloring can be tuned in with a little extra cara type of grain. On Briess's website, pilsner is certainly lighter than golden light. I think a little carapils (.5#) should help with the body. Using Beersmith would certainly help you with the adjustment. I'm sold.. I'll get pils DME instead of golden light... I want to make some Pils and Belgian ales in the future.

Happy Brewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2009, 04:26 AM   #12
ChrisS68
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaStateFan View Post
I can't speak for Briess, but I did use 100% Munton's extra light to make a German style pilsner. While it was on par, it was a tad bit darker than a good pils. The flavor was wonderful and the color was close enough for me. On the other hand I used the same Munton's extra light in a partial mash American Amber and found that the color and body were too light for the style.

Bottom line, I agree with the other posters that suggest using the extra light/pilsner DMEs when you would want a pilsner base malt and the regular light DMEs for regular 2-row base malt.
Thanks for the info. I meant to add my own experiences (duh).
I used Briess Golden Light DME for a Czech Pilsner since I couldn't find the Pilsen DME at the LHBS. It did come out a little darker than anticipated, with maybe a bit of a reddish color. I'm just finishing up a BMC clone that I made with Briess Pilsen LME. Even though I used only one can in the recipe, it does have a lot of color; it is LME after all. It does look nice though, being a bright golden yellow. Now, this weekend I'm brewing another Czech Pilsner using the Pilsen DME. Gonna see how that goes.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:46 AM   #13
Scotty_g
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

The datasheets say the SRM's of the pils is about 3, and the golden light is 8 (if memory serves). The Briess Pils is equivalent to Munton's lightest malt in color.

Anything you (or I) make with DME is going to tend to be darker than an all-grain brew because it tends to caramelize a little more, etc. You can help the color by doing a late addition of ~2/3 of the DME. I brew in the cheapest pot that will work on my glass-top stove, and it was scorching/darkening the wort more than I liked. Once I went to late addition, not only could I save on hops but the beers came out quite a bit lighter.

When I finally use up the second bucket of bulk golden light DME, I'm not sure I'll get more. A little caramel malt will be fine for darkening the pils DME that I plan to keep around. When brewing AG the base malt is still going to be pale (unless you use Munich or Vienna or something) and the color/maltiness comes from specialty grains.

If you do buy bulk DME, get yourself a couple of pails with lids from your local home improvement store. It's just over 25# to a 5-gal pail, and it will keep the DME nice and dry.

Natural 20 Brewery

Yes, that *is* beer. Water, malt, hops, and yeast mean it's beer. Go ahead and try a glass...

Old 07-26-2010, 03:14 AM   #14
drummerguysteve
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I stick with just Pils, and it seems to work really well for me. I find that I'm usually either going really light, or really dark. When going really dark, the color is coming from the other grains anyhow, and I really like the flavor I get from the Pils as a base malt.

I should see if my LHBS sells it in really large quantities too. It's probably much cheaper.

+1 on the late addition as well.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:59 PM   #15
headfullahops
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

The Northern Brewer site specs that, as far as the actual grains go, Pilsen is 1.6° L and Briess 2-row is 1.8 L. I'm willing to bet that no one could tell the difference in color from beers where those grains are the only thing different in the recipe. So something else must be going on with the Golden Light DME. Someone mentioned that they use a percentage of Munich? That might make sense.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:53 PM   #16
Heavyfoot
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by headfullahops View Post
The Northern Brewer site specs that, as far as the actual grains go, Pilsen is 1.6° L and Briess 2-row is 1.8 L. I'm willing to bet that no one could tell the difference in color from beers where those grains are the only thing different in the recipe. So something else must be going on with the Golden Light DME. Someone mentioned that they use a percentage of Munich? That might make sense.
According to Briess' website, the Pilsen Light is 2.0L and contains pilsen malt and carapils while the Golden Light is 4.0L and contains 2-row and carapils.

Quick Reply