Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Briess DME

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2010, 04:36 AM   #11
mullenite
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Briess uses carapils in their two lightest extracts (Pilsen Light and Golden Light) to counter that to some extent.

Quote:
All the extract-only beers that I made seemed a bit on the watery side when it came to mouthfeel. So even if I didn't need any other steeping grains for my recipe, I'd steep 4oz - 8oz of Carapils to help with mouthfeel and head retention.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2010, 05:21 AM   #12
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

When I first started brewing I exclusively used Briess DME, my beers were good! Having said that, I always used steeping grains for color, flavor, mouthfeel and head retention; usually crystal malts. However, Briess' Amber contains crystal and munich, so certain malts are used for certain extracts. I've only used the amber when making stouts.

Briess is good stuff, I think Munton's is a better product for DME though. At any rate, I think extract can make great beers, I have found my extract stout to be superior. I have just brewed my first AG stout recipe converted from my extract recipe, so I honestly don't know which will be better, but the stout recipe is awesome, again, using specialty grains. I think steeping grains are necessary for many styles when brewing with extract.

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Old 02-22-2010, 03:30 PM   #13
Old John
Recipes 

Default I have never Brewed All Grain..........

I have been Brewing Extract Beers since 1992. I've always used some grain, though. Last year I brewed 13 five gallon batches of various Brown Ales, Scottish Ales, & Sweet Stout. I bottle all mine. I mostly use Briess plain Amber DME.

I love Crystal Malt, for the Flavor, color and mouth feel, that it adds.
I also frequently use Chocolate Malt.
Occasionally, I use Black Patent Malt or Roasted Barley, for various recipes.
I do not make many light colored Beers. But over the years,I have used Carapils once or twice. Oh, and there is Malto-dextrin powder, too.
I have recently tried Malted Barley that I have Toasted, lightly. It's interesting in the flavor & effect it adds.

I think you can make some Excellent Extract Home-Brews, with the addition, of a pound or so of various Grains, steeped in your water, as it warms up to boiling, and then Sparged.
I'm just sayin'.........
Works for me.

'Til Later...Happy Brewin',
Old John

Old 08-27-2010, 07:22 PM   #14
mpruett
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Speaking of Briess DME... if you want to make a great starter beer for your megabrew drinking friends, try what I did for my first lager:

6 lbs Briess Pilsen DME
1/2 lb 10 Crystal malt
1/4 lb Carapils

about 15-20 IBU of US Hallertau hops in boil, no aroma or flavor

Ferment @ 50 with Wyeast 2782-PC Staro Prague Lager Yeast

Lager 2-3 months @ 28 F

Carbonate to about 2.5-3 volumes of CO2.

You'll end up with something about 1.052 or so in OG, about 15-20 IBUs, and roughly 4-5 SRM. Where it gets interesting is that for whatever reason, this doesn't have the overwhelming malty flavor that a helles or a pilsner would have; it's kind of understated, and there's a little sweetness there. My friends who drink megabrew absolutely LOVE it; even though it's neither particularly bitter or malty, it's more so in both categories than the megabrews, but not enough to be judged as "weird" by the friends.

Quick Reply