Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Brewmart Czech Pilsner Quandry

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2009, 01:59 PM   #1
barefoottourguide
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewmart Czech Pilsner Quandry

The canned directions say nothing about boiling the wort with water for an hour, which we've done on the previous kit to great success. It also doesn't say anything about lagering or temperature for fermenting, which makes me suspect, and I don't know what kind of yeast came with the kit. We used all the kit's ingredients plus an ounce of Saaz finishing hops. The first day's fermentation was sluggish but evident. The second day we switched the overflow tube with the airlock and accidentally got the rubber gasket to fall through the lid into the fermenter. We carefully transferred the brew to a second fermenter by carefully pouring and lidded that fermenter with the retrieved gasket and an airlock. Fermentation is sluggish as can be. My fermenting space is 71 degrees. Any experience with this product or advice on how I shall proceed?
Garrett

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
shipfaced
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Location: Found a stray Parrot. All he says is "good morning you ugly prick" It's not yours is it?

I have made this by the book with no additives - it's very good, reminds one of St. Pauli Girl. A tiny bit of a sulphur nose but if you can wait it out, it goes away - I never wait.

Pitch your rehydrated yeast in 65 - 75 degrees for best results but one maker says do it up to 90 or more ... better to have hot wort than an infection from un-yeasted (is that a word?) wort.

The canned kit people have switched to calling all their products a "no-boil". It is the only thing I don't do when it comes to following their directions. I do get everything very hot (almost a boil) with a bit of water and sugar in a pot just to mix everything.

Best advice someone gave me was "Don't bugger with the beer while fermenting!" Careful with transferring at this point ... air admitted now can oxygenate wort for a bad taste.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply