Brewing wit today but missing an ingredient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fezzman

Reaction score
Hello all. I plan to brew an AHS Stimulus Package Wit today but noticed that I am missing the 1/8oz lemon peel. Here's the recipe..

1lb white wheat grains (steep)
Beer Add Pack (1lb lightDME, 1lb corn sugar, 1/4lb malto dextrin)
1/2oz Cascade @30
1/2oz Cascade @5
1/8oz Lemon Peel
1/2oz Bitter Orange Peel
1/2oz Crushed Coriander
5lbs Wheat LME (late)

At first I thought to use fresh grated lemon peel. Key West Southernmost Wheat is one of SWMBO's favorite wits which appears to have lime added. Could I just substitute the lime for the lemon? Or should I do a mix of both? How much of each should I use?

Also, the recipe states "crushed" coriander but I've got whole seeds. Do I just crush them or add them whole? Sorry, first time with a wit.

Thanks for any tips.

You will most definitely need to crush the coriander. Otherwise it will impart pretty much no taste into your brew. (This would actually be the citrus taste) Either use a kitchen mallet or even a coffee grinder if you have one. Not too sure about the lime/lemon peel though, my wit only had the bitter orange peel. I'm sure you'd be safe either way, just try not to peel into the white part of the lime/lemon.

Thanks for the help, daniel. I decided to hold off brewing until sometime today. Guess it'll be a memorial wit. :D

Use lemon zest if you have a fresh lemon. you could use the lime instead OR in addition to.

Back