Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Brewing help - No instructions!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #11
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 707 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpowder View Post
Hmmm... Ed, those links gave me some ideas... I was thinking about soaking the oak chips in Knob Creek (Kentucky Bourbon) for a few days, then toasting them, then just throwing them in primary after fermentation settles down, letting them float around until bottling, see what happens. I think that would produce a nice flavor? Whaddya think?
How about toasting the oak before you soak it so the toasting doesn't drive out the flavor of the Knob Creek?
Old 12-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #12
Gunpowder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 76

its been my experience with knob creek from cooking steak with it, is that heat drives off the alcohol but not the flavor of the bourbon. i think i want the toasted oak to be the more dominate flavor, with just a hint of the bourbon.... and i feel that since bourbon is born from oak barrels, it can only serve to enhace that flavor and aroma.... i think marnating the oak chips after toasting will dull the oak flavor more than toasting after would dull the bourbon flavor. however, i could be wrong.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #13
ed5388
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpowder
its been my experience with knob creek from cooking steak with it, is that heat drives off the alcohol but not the flavor of the bourbon. i think i want the toasted oak to be the more dominate flavor, with just a hint of the bourbon.... and i feel that since bourbon is born from oak barrels, it can only serve to enhace that flavor and aroma.... i think marnating the oak chips after toasting will dull the oak flavor more than toasting after would dull the bourbon flavor. however, i could be wrong.
When I made my ipa I didn't toast anything, but when I added it to the secondary I poured the oak cubes and the remaining alcohol it was soaking in right into the fermenter. If you were to toast first and add that to the knob creek all that toasty flavor would be in the alcohol as well. So my suggestion would be to dump it all into the fermenter! Either way you decided to do it isn't wrong it's just your preference. Experimentation is half the fun

Primary: Belgian Chocolate Stout
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Pumpkin Ale, Cinnamon Toast Crunch Milk Stout, Captain Morgan Oaked Black IPA, Brandon O's Graff, Gingerbread Spiced Brown Ale, Honey Bacon Ale

Gunpowder Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply