Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Brewing help - No instructions!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
Gunpowder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Default Brewing help - No instructions!!

Hi all!!

I'm still a relatively new brewer, and today I picked up an IPA kit from a local brew store. The kit is sold by "Crosby-Baker", which is a wholesaler, and it's an extract kit. Problem is, it didn't come with any instructions. The website for the maker doesn't provide online instructions, and I can't seem to find anything close to it online. Anyone have any insight into this?? Especially with the oak chips. Here are the ingredients:

2 cans Unhopped Amber Malt Extract
1- 1 lb. bag Muntons Crushed Crystal Grain
1 bag Bottle Caps
1 Muslin bag for Steeping Grain
1 bag Priming Sugar
.5 oz. packet Heavy Toasted Oak Chips
1 packet Muntons Ale Yeast
1 oz. UK Pilgrim Hop Pellets
1 oz. UK First Gold Hop Pellets

I also bought an ounce of Centennial hops for dryhopping around day 5 (still not sure how to approach this).

Any help or insight from anyone would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 10:22 PM   #2
bumstigedy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My kids didn't come with instructions either, but I figured out what to do with them
Check out howtobrew.com; there are step by step instructions for beginners. This kind of sounds like a brewers best kit; you might google brewers best kits; I think they have their instructions available online.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
ed5388
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Me personally. If its a 5 gal recipe i'f steep the grains for 30 min at 155-160*. Remove grains and bring to boil. At boil I'd add one can extract and add second can at 45min in. Since its an ipa I'd split the hops up and add 1/2 oz at behing of the boil, 1/2 oz at 30 min in, 1/2 oz at 45 min in, and last half between 5 min and flame out. Cool your wort to 75ish add yeast and store. For secondary I'd dry hop and add the oak. I'd dry hop for 7-14 days. It's all preference. That's just what I'd do but others may have better suggestions! Good luck

Primary: Belgian Chocolate Stout
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Pumpkin Ale, Cinnamon Toast Crunch Milk Stout, Captain Morgan Oaked Black IPA, Brandon O's Graff, Gingerbread Spiced Brown Ale, Honey Bacon Ale

Old 12-27-2012, 12:34 AM   #4
Gunpowder
Recipes 

Thanks guys!

Old 12-27-2012, 12:43 AM   #5
ed5388
Recipes 

No prob! If you go my route check back in and let me know how it turns out for you!

Bottled: Pumpkin Ale, Cinnamon Toast Crunch Milk Stout, Captain Morgan Oaked Black IPA, Brandon O's Graff, Gingerbread Spiced Brown Ale, Honey Bacon Ale

Old 12-27-2012, 12:51 AM   #6
Capn_Bill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I'm no expert myself, but ed5488's advice looks solid. Just a hunch, but I think the higher alpha acid hop, the Pilgrim, would be the bittering hop and added at 60 min.

I've never used oak, but I've seen NB's whiskey porter recipe kit that has a step where you soak the oak chips in whiskey before adding to the secondary. I imagine this sanitizes them. Not suggesting whiskey here, but I'd look into whether you need to sanitize the chips before adding them to the secondary.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:02 AM   #7
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed5388 View Post
Me personally. If its a 5 gal recipe i'f steep the grains for 30 min at 155-160*. Remove grains and bring to boil. At boil I'd add one can extract and add second can at 45min in. Since its an ipa I'd split the hops up and add 1/2 oz at behing of the boil, 1/2 oz at 30 min in, 1/2 oz at 45 min in, and last half between 5 min and flame out. Cool your wort to 75ish add yeast and store. For secondary I'd dry hop and add the oak. I'd dry hop for 7-14 days. It's all preference. That's just what I'd do but others may have better suggestions! Good luck
This.

There are variations on how they could want the hops, but this would be a good way to go.

OR, you could call up the brew store and ask what the instructions that they didn't give you say about the hop schedule.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 12-27-2012, 01:16 AM   #8
ed5388
Recipes 

I recently brewed a black ipa that i added captain morgan soaked oak cubes to. I got a lot of good info for how to properly add and sanitize oak by listening to these brewing network episodes! Hope they are helpful for you too.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/question-oak-wood-chips-105682/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/sanitizing-wood-chips-88650/

Old 12-27-2012, 01:25 AM   #9
Gunpowder
Recipes 

Hmmm... Ed, those links gave me some ideas... I was thinking about soaking the oak chips in Knob Creek (Kentucky Bourbon) for a few days, then toasting them, then just throwing them in primary after fermentation settles down, letting them float around until bottling, see what happens. I think that would produce a nice flavor? Whaddya think?

Old 12-27-2012, 01:29 AM   #10
ed5388
Recipes 

Sounds good to me! Brewing is all about experimenting! Worse case if you don't like it you know for next time. Best case it's the most delicious beer you've ever made! I myself make some pretty unconventional brews and haven't disliked one yet! It's all part of the fun of the hobby!! Good luck!

Quick Reply