*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Brewing Extract, without nuking the Extract.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #21
outside92129
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Any problems with DMS?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #22
jperry
Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by outside92129 View Post
Any problems with DMS?
I haven't had any, cooked/creamed corn flavor, in my late extract beers. It's possible that there was a trace amount, but, If it was noticeable, I'd be able to taste it... and I'd probably dump it all.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:36 AM   #23
Gunslinger711
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Wow, learn something new every day! After all the reading I did about extract brewing I never came across anything about adding most of the extract in at flame out. I'd be interested to hear more people's mileage with this idea. Or even better a "added extract in after steep grains vs added 1 lb per gal before the boil and the rest in at flameout" case

Planning: Rye Pale Ale

Old 06-24-2013, 05:13 PM   #24
Mozart
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I've been doing late extract additions as well, and adding the extract after the pot is off the flame.

All the way off the flame!

I actually pick the thing up and set it on a trivet which is on the counter next to the stove. I used to just move it to another spot on the stove, but....

Sometimes when I pour in the extract, a little bit of wort splashes out of the pot. When it does this on the counter top it's a bit easier to clean-up afterward than when I splash a little on the stove.

Drinking: Hefeweizen
Carbing/Conditioning/Aging: Nothing
Fermenter #1 (6.5g): Empty
Fermenter #2 (6.5g): Biermuncher's Cream of Three Crops
Fermenter #3 & #4 (1.0g): Empty

Old 06-24-2013, 05:22 PM   #25
m3n00b
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger711 View Post
Wow, learn something new every day! After all the reading I did about extract brewing I never came across anything about adding most of the extract in at flame out. I'd be interested to hear more people's mileage with this idea. Or even better a "added extract in after steep grains vs added 1 lb per gal before the boil and the rest in at flameout" case
I've started doing this with all of my brews. They are so light colored now and have great flavor.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:57 PM   #26
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger711 View Post
Do a search. There are many threads on late extract addition.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #27
MKBoitnott
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post

What I always recommend is using about a pound of extract for every gallon of water in the boil. This isn't exact, and can be a guestimate. I just find that the color and flavor is more like the comparable all-grain version of the beer if you do that.

So, if you've got a 3 gallon boil, and 6 pounds of extract, add 1/2 and 1/2 or so. I wouldn't measure it or worry about being exact, as close enough is just fine.
This sounds like a pretty sound idea. When reading Brewing Classic Styles, they mentioned this issue specifically. They recommend that you make sure you are boiling at the same gravity as you would in a 7 gal boil (or whatever your preboil volume is).

For example, I recently did an all grain English Mild. The preboil gravity was supposed to be 1.028. If I wanted to convert this to a 3 gal partial boil, then you would have to do two things.

1. Calculate how many gravity points you would get from steeping.

2. Add enough DME to reach the preboil gravity.

3. Add the remaining DME around/after flame out.

This would be really easy to do with something like BrewTarget or ProMash. Just drop your gallons down to three and adjust your DME until you get that target boil gravity. MAKE SURE TO SAVE ANOTHER RECIPE BEFORE YOU EDIT

I could be completely wrong about this, but I think that the boil gravity will have an effect on melanoidin production (more concentrated wort vs less concentrated). Any thoughts on this?

Old 06-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #28
zeptrey
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

So is the flameout specifically referring to LME? I've always heard that DME is usually at least around my area the "fresher" of the two versions of extract. Would the freshness of the extracts have anything to do with clarity? I'd also think that you'd need a bit of a boil to fully incorporate DME. Anyway just some thoughts.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:50 PM   #29
Damoxemus
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by outside92129 View Post
Any problems with DMS?
From my understanding, the process used to make the extract drives off the sulfur compounds, so DMS shouldn't be an issue when use LME.

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure that is the case.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #30
Pratzie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damoxemus View Post
From my understanding, the process used to make the extract drives off the sulfur compounds, so DMS shouldn't be an issue when use LME.

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure that is the case.
Ive read that as well, its more of an issue with all grain and not LME or DME.

Also for the OP. Whats the max size of ur kettle. increasing the boil volume will help keep the beer lighter. I noticed a big difference when i stepped up from a 22qt pot to a 15.5 gallon keggle; the color was much lighter. Most stove tops can't get very large quanitiies of water to a rolling boil quickly so u may need to get an outside burner to do this. Another thing to also remember is if u step up the boil volume, its gonna take more to cool it down. When i upgraded to the keggles, i made sure to get a counter flow chiller. The upgrades to keggles with a Blichmann burner and the addition of the CFC guaranteed a great hot and cold break, which def helped with clarity and IMHO a better overall beer.

Also adding the extract late is a very common thing. ive read that its good to add some of the extract early on in the boil and then add the majority in the last 10-15 minutes just to pretty much sanitize it.
Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Quick Reply