The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Brewhouse Kits

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2008, 04:53 PM   #1
d_m_s_00
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewhouse Kits

I just picked up a brew house kit, the honey Blonde Ale. (http://www.thebrewhouse.com) I wanted something that doesn't require much work, ment to be consumed for a BBQ in spring. (i don't plan on doing an AG brew just for others to drink)
Does anyone have experience whth brewhouse kits? i'm wondering how they turn out, and if using a differn't yeast would make it better?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2008, 05:00 PM   #2
brewNdrink
Recipes 

The brewhouse kits are made very close to where I live! I've used 2 kits from them and they turned out very well. I tried the dark lager and the pilsner. The yeast that comes with the kits are basic Coopers yeast I believe. For an ale that's ok, but for the pilsner kit I used a liquid yeast.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:04 PM   #3
grasshopper1917
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So what your saying is your an all grain hog eh :P

Thats not very Canadian like hehehhehe

Cheers

Old 03-28-2008, 05:35 PM   #4
brewNdrink
Recipes 

Here is the Brewhouse company with alot of great tips to customize the Brewhouse (or any other) kit. Lot's of great reading:

http://www.rjspagnols.com/resource.asp?CategoryID=25

Old 03-28-2008, 07:42 PM   #5
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have brewed two (Marzen & IPA): Here's some discussion about them:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=41691

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=58727

Old 03-28-2008, 10:26 PM   #6
Wade E
Beer Buster
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I will be making a Cream Ale in the next few weeks, anyone made this 1?

Old 03-29-2008, 09:06 PM   #7
d_m_s_00
Recipes 

Hey pldoolittle, i've read your thread on your IPA and Marzen kits that didn't turn out well. would you suggest using another yeast? I've got a noghttingham, maybe that would work out better than the coopers?
I've done their stout kit a couple years ago (followed the instructions) when i started brewing, it turned out ok, kind of what i expected from a $26 kit.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:06 AM   #8
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Now that several months have passed, my thoughts have changed somewhat.
The IPA was definitely infected, and had to be dumped. As it followed no typical signs of various types of infections, I never was unable to identify the culprit. I suspect a wild yeast, perhaps even Brett. I still can't describe the flavor, except as just bad.
When I tasted the Marzen during fermentation and initial cold condition, it too tasted like crap and was very cloudy. And it was that exact same awful flavor the IPA had. Because of those traits, I suspected either the kits just sucked, both got a common infection, or one infected the other. As time passed, I have scrapped that theory. Here's why;

* The IPA was very good after 4 weeks. It started to suck about week 6. By 8 weeks it was unpalatable.
* Before 12 weeks, the Marzen was unpalatable. However, after 5 months, the Marzen is getting quite good.
* The IPA started clear, and got very cloudy over time.
* The Marzen was very cloudy for about 3 months, but is now crystal clear.
* 2 other beers on the same gas manifold have had no problems.

All that said, I may not buy another but I won't rule it out either.

As for another yeast;
For the IPA it's not needed unless you just like another yeast. I had a tricky infection, and that's what killed this beer.
For the Marzen, perhaps. I wasn't real keen on using an ale yeast for a lager style. If you do stick with the included yeast, you need to forget about it being an ale and think Marzen. Plan on 5-6 months of cold conditioning before you tap it.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:49 AM   #9
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have used these kits a lot in the past (and still do the odd one). But my brother in law brews with them all the time and makes amazing beer. He tends to hack them up a bit (with steeped grains, dry hopping, liquid yeast, etc.), and makes INCREDIBLE beer. This year he made it to second round NHC and also won a sliver at the MCAB competition (two of the top competitions in North America). I think in the last two years he has won 12 or 15 medals just from these kits (in fact most of his entries have won medals). He has also severely PO'd some very knowledgable all-grain brewers because he consistently wins medals and beats out the 'top' guys with simple kit beers. Our local newspaper even picked up on all his wins and will be doing an online feature on his brewing success.

The Brewhouse kits are pre-hopped, all grain kits and VERY high quality. They take minutes (not hours) to make. The trick to making great beer with them is to chuck the crappy yeast that comes in these kits, and use an appropriate amount of liquid (or perhaps quality dry) yeast instead. You can modify/improve the flavour of these kits with some steeped grains or dry hopping, and by adjusting the gravity of the brew by playing with the amount of top-up water you add.

I mostly brew all grain beer these days, because I enjoy making beer 'from scratch'. But when I am running out of beer and pressed for time, I don't even hesitate to brew up one of these Brewhouse kits. They are fantastic and I can't speak highly enough of them.

I have been promising to write up an article on brewing with the Brewhouse kits for my local homebrew club one of these days. If/when I finally do it, I will post it here as well. Until then here are some suggested ways to make some great beer with the Brewhouse kits:

IPA Kit:
1. Add 2 or 4 litres of water (not the full 8 the kit recommends), use Wyeast 1056 or Safale US-05 or equivalent yeast, and dry hop with your favourite American hops. Outstanding IPA.
2. Add 4-6 litres of water, steep 3/4 lb use Wyeast 1968 or Safale S-04 or equivalent British style yeast. Dry hop with EKG. Great English IPA. (Use more water and skip the dry hop to make a nice Special Bitter).

Dark Munich Lager Kit:
1. Use 4 litres of water to steep 3/4 lb 40L crystal malt, use Wyeast 1028 London Ale or Nottingham yeast and dry hop with Cascade hops for a great American Brown Ale (use more water and skip the dry hopping for a more English style Northern Brown Ale).

Cream Ale kit:
1. Use 4 litres of water to steep 1 lb 60L crystal malt and 1/2 lb chocolate malt, use Wyeast 1028 London Ale or Nottingham or equivalent yeast to make a great Northern English Brown Ale.

Or check out the recipes and hacking tips on The Brewhouse website at:
http://thebrewhouse.com/resource_center/the_inner.htm
http://thebrewhouse.com/resource_cen...techniques.htm
Cream Ale Kit

Last edited by FlyGuy; 03-31-2008 at 06:53 AM.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:31 PM   #10
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks for the feedback! It's good to hear from someone else that has done it.

Quick Reply