The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > brewferm question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2006, 02:54 AM   #1
sysctl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default brewferm question

I have just bottled my first extract brew (an apa of my lhbs guy's own recipe). It smelled great and looked great when bottling, but didnt taste exactly right. Also, when I bought that recipe, I bought a Brewferm Diabolo kit. My LHBS supplied me with 3.3 pounds of extra extract, 2 pounds of corn sugar not for priming, and saaz hops. I can't remember him telling me how to incorporate the corn sugar into the boil, so does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2006, 07:38 AM   #2
pariah
Recipes 

Hmm...corn sugar? Generally that's only used for priming. The diablo kit plus the 3.3 lbs of extra extract should make beer just fine. I don't think I would put the corn sugar in...if you need more fermentable sugars, I would head back to your lhbs and get some more extract. How big is the brewferm batch supposed to be? Five gallons? I've never used brewferm, could you give us some more details?

As for the bottled batch...did you do a secondary fermentation? I'm assuming you didn't. I always do a secondary fermentation, and I'm always surprised how different my beers tastet after two weeks of aging in the secondary and another two or three weeks in the bottles. If it smelled great and looked great, it will probably turn out great. Just give it some time.

Old 08-25-2006, 12:49 PM   #3
fezzman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

When I bought my cream ale kit from the lhbs, he gave me a pound of corn sugar to incorporate into my brew. He said that it will up the alcohol by 1/4-1/2 percent. He told me to add it at the same time that I was adding my extracts to the boil.

I've also followed this procedure for my RIS batch. I suppose time will tell how well they turn out with all of that extra sugar.

Old 08-25-2006, 03:38 PM   #4
Exo

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it. 1# of corn sugar will not ruin your batch and probably won't alter the taste...but it will kick your abv up by a little less than 1%

Wasp Bitten IPA (a Walker-San clone);Cheesefood's Caramel Creme; Wee Heavy Scottish Ale;
Bottled/Conditioning:
Flyin' Hornet Pale Ale(Mirror Pond clone);Oktoberfest Ale
Drinking:
Boom-Boom Apricot Hefeweisen; Forbidden Ale;Pale-Ass Ale (SNPA Clone); Ol' Man Winter Ale
On-deck:
Dead Guy clone
Planning:
Walker's Espresso Stout; BrewPastor's Bastard Lager
Quote:
But honey, how else am I going to get enough bottles for my next batch? *burp*...*fart*

Old 08-27-2006, 02:44 PM   #5
newkie
Recipes 

A single Diablo kit only makes 9l of ale total. According to the instructions you were meant to only add 500g of malt to the kit. Then 90g when bottling.

Quick Reply