Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > brewferm "gialla" creeping around

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2009, 09:20 PM   #1
ct_beer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default brewferm "gialla" creeping around

Hi Friends,

Working on my 3rd batch of extract brewing. I'm still new to this. Have a Brewferm Gialla in the fermenter for 23 days now. The first few days were very bubbly..then it slowed down to a crawl. The airlock is still under pressure, but not strong enough to produce bubbles. Every day I'll give it a squeeze to even out the pressure, then it builds back to the same "pressured" level, just short of bubbling. The temperature has been constant from day one using a brewbelt. Temp is 22-24 deg.

My start density was 1050. 23 days later, I'm now at 1014. The O.G for this beer is 1010. I've had the same reading for 5 days in a row now (1012). Should I bottle or continue to wait? I''m obviously very patient, but wonder if there is any sense to waiting before bottling. It doesn't seem to want to arrive at the o.g.

Thanks for the help.

dmc

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2009, 09:32 PM   #2
JonK331
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Bottle it! Once it is stable for several days like that, it's finished. I've never had a batch of normal gravity take more than a couple weeks. Taking a reading every day also increases potential for infection so be careful. Try taking more incremental readings in the future. Also, extract varies quite a bit sometimes in terms of fermentability so don't worry if you end up a couple points higher or lower here and there.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
s3n8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You are probably ok to bottle, 1.012 or 1.014 is pretty goot attenuation for extract based on my experience. I commend you on your patience, you will be rewarded with better beer as a result.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:27 PM   #4
ct_beer
Recipes 

Great, thanks ever so much for the insight. Well appreciated. I'll thank you again when I crack the first bottle!

best,
dmc

Old 01-24-2010, 08:12 PM   #5
ct_beer
Recipes 

cracked open a bottle this evening. it's still pretty fresh and could use another month of conditioning in bottles. just had to try it.

it's VERY good, lots of depth and great aroma. THANKS for all the advice.

best,
darren

Quick Reply