Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > brewers best witbier

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #11
slicksmix
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaau View Post
What if your witbeir kit has WB-06 as its yeast? (my bb wit kit does)
Use it. Its pretty decent yeast. After 3 weeks conditioning I finally tasted my bb witbier. Very good imho. One thing I did a little different was added a little corn sugar when I added my spice pack for a little higher abv. I also crushed my corriander. Everything I ever read about wheat beers says to crush it but the directions in the kit didn't mention it. I like my results

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2011, 10:31 AM   #12
novaau
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicksmix View Post
Use it. Its pretty decent yeast. After 3 weeks conditioning I finally tasted my bb witbier. Very good imho. One thing I did a little different was added a little corn sugar when I added my spice pack for a little higher abv. I also crushed my corriander. Everything I ever read about wheat beers says to crush it but the directions in the kit didn't mention it. I like my results
It's good to hear a more positive take on it, something that was lacking in my forum search of the yeast. One thing that concerns me is that my fermentation will likely be on the higher side (likely no more than 74 though), and I noticed quite a bit of people saying that higher temps produce a "clove-y, but not in a German Hefeweizen sort of way," off-flavor, and wanted to avoid that- maybe add more orange? Or should it even be a concern?

Old 02-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #13
Lriliin
Recipes 

My first beer was the BB witbier kit. Mine came with Fermentis WB-06 yeast as well. Turned out great, thought it had a bit of an off flavor when I bottled it but I cracked the first bottle 2 nights ago and I can't taste anything. Verry yummy. The specialty grains were the oat and wheat flake with pale 2-row. Steeped at 155 for 45 min. If that's not mashing then I guess I don't know what is. Any thoughts are encouraged. I like it a lot. Thinking about doing an all grain version of it.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #14
Cider123
Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My first AG was a Wit. I use the BIAB method. It came out great and with a ABV of around 4% which is fine for me. This is a refreshing drinker not a slayer. I used Wyeast 3944 and was very happy. I have some yeast washed and saved in the fridge for the next time. And there will be a next time.

I like beer

Old 03-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #15
DerrangedPOJO
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I just cracked open my witbier from BB. It was advertised as a blue moon but it is a Hoegarden the wit blanche!! I ended up with a 4.95% abv. OG was 1.047 and FG was 1.009. very fun recipe! i liked doing more than just adding LME!! Im working on collecting everything i need to start AG or BIAB. Im addicted!!!

Old 03-17-2013, 02:35 PM   #16
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The yeast that comes with the kit is good. This was my first brew ever. I have brewed it a couple of times since going all grain when I wanted a quick easy brewday.

Quick Reply