Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Brewer's Best vs. MoreBeer kits

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2006, 06:12 PM   #31
fezzman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Grog
Well, I'll take the first plunge and see what the total costs are and let ya'll know. Believe me, it won't be the first time I ever got ripped off. They seemed friendly when I called them and helpful. But, you know the old saying....BS walks and money talks.
I thought the saying was "BS talks and money walks." Which is why my boss is always talking and I'm always sitting at my desk while he walks away.

(weak stab at a joke)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2006, 06:49 PM   #32
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Your right. I'm such a clutz.

Old 10-30-2006, 03:03 PM   #33
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Continental Pilsner was finally ready for consumption this weekend and boy, did it get consumed. Pretty freaking good. Taste almost like the Helles at the local microbrew. One thing I did notice and maybe this has something to do with my techniques getting better, but there was WAY less sediment in the bottom of the bottles. I primed and all as usual, nothing really changed. But you could just about drink it out of the bottle. Racked the Weizen Saturday after watching OU kick some butt.....and boy, that stuff was really active. Be forewarned, you almost need a blowoff. In fact, if you use a primary smaller than 6.5 gallons, I'd use a blowoff.

Old 10-30-2006, 07:17 PM   #34
fezzman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I've heard that weizen beer typically has a more active fermentation. I've yet to give that a go.

I decided Saturday to hold off on the Continental Pilsner for now. I picked up the ingredients to brew a very light American ale for a Christmas gift. The guy at the lhbs chose the ingredients for that batch.

I also picked up what I need to do my Boddington's clone. I just need to wait for my digital scale to come in the mail so I can measure out my hops. I think my next two will be the Cont. Plsn (because of your review) and an Old Speckled Hen clone.

Old 10-30-2006, 08:27 PM   #35
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, I'm going to try out the Cream Ale based on your inputs as well. Trust me, you won't be dissapointed by the Pilsner. The weizen, by far the most "active" one I've ever brewed. When I racked it, it smelled STRONG but I didn't taste it as my siphon techniques are a lot better and I didn't want to have to worry about it for 3 weeks. This is the one that I had a big boil over and lost a lot of my bittering hops. Curious how this puppy comes out. Oh, by the way, just got an email from UPS that my shipment is scheduled for delivery Thursday, but no final price. Not to bad, I ordered last Thursday and getting it a week later. If the price is right on that order, I can wait a week in the future, no problem.

Old 10-31-2006, 02:36 AM   #36
Beer Weevel
Recipes 

Default Beer Kits

Lots and lots of companys sell brew kits, and most make acceptable beer. The differance that I've found is in the shipping. For example Northern Brewer has exceptionally high shipping rates where others don't. More, More beer is about middle of the road where Home Brewery is fairly low in shipping. What I do is shop for style and what I want to brew and then shop different web sites. My favorite is probably William's Brewing since I'm in California the shipping rates are fairly low.

Quick Reply