Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Brewer's Best vs. MoreBeer kits

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2006, 06:56 PM   #21
fezzman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Oooh-oooh, is that a BB kit as well? Lemme know how it is after you try it.

I am going to brew/bottle a batch for my dad for Christmas. He's typically a Miller guy but also enjoys Ybor Light and Medalla. I plan to either do the Cont. Pls or the AmericanLight. My American Cream had too much flavor for his liking. I bet if I had used some Irish moss and topped my secondary to 5 gallons he would have liked it just fine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2006, 08:15 PM   #22
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, that's from BB. I tried one just for grins after one week in the bottle,
a 1-1-1 if you will, and it was WAY different the American Amber. To me, it tasted like a Helles, or at least the Helles I get from our local brewery on Fort Sill. You could smell the hops on this one. So I'll pop a few more open Friday night and see if it passes my test. It wasn't bad, not a sweet as the Amber, but good. I guess I tend to like maltier brews but I've pretty much decided that I'm going to try just about everything BB makes. At this point, it sure is nice knowing that everything is there in the kit and they work. I'm now concentrating on my technique rather than ingredients. I've managed to reduce my brew time to about 3.5 hours as opposed to 5 for my first brew ever. Also been reading that you don't necessarily have to boil for an hour. The bittering hops give off 75% of their properties within the first 30 minutes. So, I'm still perfecting my technique.
Tell me about the Cream Ale, was it BB?

Old 10-25-2006, 08:35 PM   #23
fezzman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

The Cream Ale was a BB kit. From what I understand, it is basically an American lager but using an ale yeast. It is quite a tasty brew that reminds me of a Genesee, though slightly sweeter.

For my kits that have steeping grains I've been taking a shortcut. I start heating my two gallons and at the same time I have a 3qt pot that I heat for steeping. I can get my half hour steep done about the same time as it takes for my 20qt to boil. Then I sparge from the 3qt into the 20. My new stove is slow as poooo. I also only add my DME at the beginning of the boil. LME comes at the last 15-20 minutes.

Of the four BB kits I tried, I favor the Russian Imperial Stout the most. I added 3/4lbs of corn sugar and 1/3lbs of lactose to the recipe for good measure.

I totally screwed up with my EPA...kind of angry about that. I have excessive sediment in all of my bottles. I'm thinking that I churned up the carboy while moving it, prior to racking to my bucket. It looks like crap while warm in the bottle. After sticking in the fridge everything settles and I can pour most of the bottle. Great hoppy taste. I wonder if the hop taste will increase over time with all of that crap in each bottle.

Old 10-25-2006, 09:00 PM   #24
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You add your LME at the last 20 minutes of the boil.....hmmmmmmmmmmm that's something new to me. Drat, I almost ordered the Cream Ale, but was really curious about the micro pale ale and the steam style that I've been reading about. Still haven't got a confirmation on the shipping charges yet. Like some others have said, these prices may have been too good to believe.

Old 10-25-2006, 09:28 PM   #25
fezzman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I add the lme at the end of the boil so it has less time to scorch/darken. I heard that it needs at least 15 minutes of boil so that it can sterilize.

Old 10-26-2006, 01:45 PM   #26
WAGNER BREWING
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by debtman7
Wow, they have a 'Get Netscape Navigator 3' button on their page.. That was released in 1996!

I hope their kits are more up to date than their website...

They updated the page in september...still curious why they havent updated the actual page

Old 10-26-2006, 03:18 PM   #27
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If those prices are still good, then I don't care. Still haven't gotten anything back from them. I'm just going to call them and find out what's the problem. I'll let you know. I just got a feeling that they didn't realize how low their price was and now holding back. Let me call....

Old 10-26-2006, 03:24 PM   #28
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

OK, just called them. They ship out one day a week and after the intial charge for the products, there is a 4 dollar surcharge across the board, not for individual items. They said that it will get picked up today and UPS determines the shipping costs, they don't fool with that at all. Makes sense. It's just that these things are probably heavy, but still, I just can't imagine it costing more. I mean, look at the prices......I could be wrong, but when all other factors are added up as mentioned before, I don't think I'll lose any money. They also have a bunch of other brew stuff.

Last edited by Ol' Grog; 10-26-2006 at 03:27 PM.

Old 10-26-2006, 03:49 PM   #29
fezzman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

That's just the first time I've known of a webstore that didn't calculate their own postage. Kind of odd. I'm still curious to do business with them at this point.

Heading up to my lhbs Saturday regardless. I'm going to try my hand at a Boddingtons clone.

Old 10-26-2006, 04:07 PM   #30
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, I'll take the first plunge and see what the total costs are and let ya'll know. Believe me, it won't be the first time I ever got ripped off. They seemed friendly when I called them and helpful. But, you know the old saying....BS walks and money talks.

Quick Reply