Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Brewer's Best vs. MoreBeer kits

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2006, 08:15 PM   #11
jason9000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I've done 2 BB batches and just got 3 morebeer kits in. One is in the primary now. The morebeer kits have more LME and WAY more steeping grains than the Brewer's Best kits. The only poblem was that the morebeer kits didn't come with a bag to steep the grains in. So I had to make a last minute trip to Walmart last Sat. night to get some cheesecloth. The kit said to use a reuseable nylon mesh bag. I wish they had told me the kit didn't come with one. I guess I should have read the directions sometime before I got my water up to 160°. I'm pretty excited about the morebeer kits, it looks like quality stuff. Of course, I've made 4 whole batches so what do I know?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2006, 08:27 PM   #12
xpoc454
Recipes 

Ive done about 12-15 brewers best kits. They were the first ones i started with.
I like the choices they have but I feel that the kits are often very old.
I just went through my first 3 morebeer kits and they seem a lot fresher.

The reason why I mention this is because ive done an american light and rasberry wheat from both.
The difference in crispness and clarity was huge. The morebeer was much better.

I have gotten my BB kits from 2 different sources.

Next Up?-Some more Morebeer.com beers

Primary-Secondary1-none
Secondary2-none

In Bottles-Morebeer's extra special bitter
Morebeer's american pale ale
2008 and 2007 cherry berry mead
2009 Cider

Old 10-21-2006, 05:00 PM   #13
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Got to say, I've been drinking my American Amber now and as time goes by, it just gets better and better.

Old 10-24-2006, 06:58 PM   #14
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just ordered from leisure-time. Got BB kits for micro pale ale and steam style, both extracts and a 5 pound box of One step for 57 dollars. Pretty DANG GOOD, don't you think???

Old 10-24-2006, 09:57 PM   #15
fezzman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Grog
I just ordered from leisure-time. Got BB kits for micro pale ale and steam style, both extracts and a 5 pound box of One step for 57 dollars. Pretty DANG GOOD, don't you think???
Wow, that's a great price. Does that price include shipping as well?

Old 10-25-2006, 01:56 PM   #16
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

No, this is one of those "we'll email you to cost of shipping" kind of things. But what can that be for standard rate with UPS? Those three items...what.....10 to 15 pounds? Then use standard ground rates....can't be that bad. All in all, still cheaper than what I've ever seen.
How's that American Amber tasting? My SWMBO thinks it's the best beer she's ever had.....she always was a cheap date.

Old 10-25-2006, 04:19 PM   #17
fezzman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Grog
No, this is one of those "we'll email you to cost of shipping" kind of things. But what can that be for standard rate with UPS? Those three items...what.....10 to 15 pounds? Then use standard ground rates....can't be that bad. All in all, still cheaper than what I've ever seen.
How's that American Amber tasting? My SWMBO thinks it's the best beer she's ever had.....she always was a cheap date.
I went to their site and put two kits in my shopping cart in the hopes if getting it calculating the shipping. It wouldn't calculate the shipping until after I gave them my credit info. I'll do a rough calculation on the UPS site and see if it is still cheaper than going to my lhbs.

The amber is just okay. It was my first brew and I accidently let the grains steep at too high of a temp...came to a boil a few times. It is much better after having aged for a few months though. I guess I've got a good excuse to brew it again.

Old 10-25-2006, 04:32 PM   #18
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Are we brothers????? I did the EXACT same thing with the grains, I didn't get to boil, but was really, really close. Then I read some stuff that said to steep around 170, and I know it was higher than that. So I waited patiently for a month and it wasn't too bad. Wonder how it would taste if I'd pay more attention to the water temperatures.
I got a receipt from leisure time that acknowleges what I paid:
YOUR ORDER

Item # Description Min # Price Quantity
1013 AMERICAN MICRO STYLE PALE ALE 1 $ 20.95 1
$20.95
1036 STEAM STYLE BEER 1 $ 20.95 1
$20.95
6016B ONE STEP 5 LB 1 $ 13.99 1
$13.99

Total: $ 55.89

Products shipped by UPS Ground Track. Costs depend on weight.
There is an additional $3.99 handling charge.
Illinois residents add 7.75% sales tax.

Haven't heard anything yet on shipping, but the BB kits I've seen are all pretty much starting around 27 bucks. Like I said, how high can shipping be plus the 4 dollar handling charge? If it comes out even, I still feel I'm ahead because the LHBS is about 50 miles NE of here, plus I have to pay highway tolls. So for me, it's about a 1/2 day wasted on weekends, not only that, but my SWMBO will want to go and that means a "shopping" trip.....Who knows what the end cost would be.

Old 10-25-2006, 05:03 PM   #19
fezzman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I don't think we're brothers. I think I/we are actually the same person with a split personality. Did I/we drink too much once or twice? Did I/we hit my/our head too hard in a previous car wreck? Did mommy drop us/me on my/our head? Ahhhh!

My Amber sat for a good month at room temp and has now been sitting at 44*F for a month. It made a huge difference. It just has a wheat-ish taste. My brother (other brother, I guess ) thinks it tastes like a dark wheat as well. I've only got about 4 bottles left too. I guess I acquired a taste for the stuff.

Definitely give me a PM or post here when you get your shipping total. These kits are ~$25-27 at my lhbs, which is about 40 minutes away. Great guys own that shop but the only time I can get up there is on Saturday and sometimes it is hard to manage that.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:34 PM   #20
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm with you "bro". I didn't let mine sit at 44, more like 70-ish in the pantry closet. This was the 1-1-2 method. Was surprised how well carbed it was. This weekend the Continental Pilsner is ready for it's maiden voyage to "get into my belly." I have heard that your first brew will always be you best brew.

Quick Reply