Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Brewer's Best vs. MoreBeer kits

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2006, 02:50 PM   #1
Toadkiller Dog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewer's Best vs. MoreBeer kits

Hey all--

I'm about to order some brewing kits; I prefer extract types with some grains added for flavor, etc. I've tried one BB kit (Steam style) and it came out pretty well. Has anybody tried the custom kits from MoreBeer.com, and can you comment on whether they are better/worse than the BB ones?

I know I should just try them both, but time and $$ precludes a lot of beer making right now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2006, 03:12 PM   #2
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm in the same boat, but check a post I send out...I think it's here somewhere. Some of the responses were that Austin Homebrew Supply had pretty good kits. I haven't tried them. Like you, all I've ever used are BB. The American Amber is OK, not great. Got the Continental Pilsner in bottles right now and will be brewing the Weisen this weekend. The one thing I have to say is that morebeer.com and AHS don't make it PERFECTLY clear whether they use steeping grains or not. I also agree with you, steeping grains makes for better beer. Price wise, they aren't all that much different. I think morebeer.com has free shipping on anything over 50 bucks and AHS has a 5.99 flat rate for shipping.

Old 10-20-2006, 03:17 PM   #3
Fiery Sword

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I'm pretty sure I have done a MoreBeer kit at some point in the past, but I'd have to hit the notebook to remember. I did want to post, however, to mention to check out Seven Bridges Co-op. They are an all-organic homebrew/coffee supply joint out in Santa Cruz, Cali and they have a good web page HERE.

My bro and I have tried a bunch of their kits and they are all top-notch - never been dissapointed. My 'home' store is beer-wine.com - they are local to me and have some good stuff but their kits are not a consistent as Seven Bridges. You aren't going to get the wide variety that some other homebrew companies have, but the quality of ingredients and dedication to authenticity is unbeatable.

I would highly suggest giving organic a try!

Old 10-20-2006, 03:51 PM   #4
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Bit pricey.

Old 10-20-2006, 04:10 PM   #5
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

I've brewed some Midwest kits, they're pretty nice. I'd imagine that any of the bigger internet site kits would be fine - they have good turnover.

The ones that come to mind are Midwest, Northern, AHS and MoreBeer. I sure there are others too

Old 10-20-2006, 04:13 PM   #6
boldone
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery Sword
I'm pretty sure I have done a MoreBeer kit at some point in the past, but I'd have to hit the notebook to remember. I did want to post, however, to mention to check out Seven Bridges Co-op. They are an all-organic homebrew/coffee supply joint out in Santa Cruz, Cali and they have a good web page HERE.

My bro and I have tried a bunch of their kits and they are all top-notch - never been dissapointed. My 'home' store is beer-wine.com - they are local to me and have some good stuff but their kits are not a consistent as Seven Bridges. You aren't going to get the wide variety that some other homebrew companies have, but the quality of ingredients and dedication to authenticity is unbeatable.

I would highly suggest giving organic a try!
Very expensive. It is amazing how adding the word "Organic"" can make for such a higher price.
Kegged: empty
Drinking: Commercial Craft Brews :(

Old 10-20-2006, 04:23 PM   #7
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I've used Austin Homebrew for several kits and have been very pleased with the results. Also, their shipping rates can't be beat, $5.99 regarless of weight.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 10-20-2006, 04:27 PM   #8
Fiery Sword

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Yes, Seven Bridges is not going to win anyone over who are trying to pinch pennies. Then again, they are no more expensive than beer-wine.com - which is where I'd get the kits if I didn't feel like waiting for shiping.

In the end, the price jump really doesn't bother me - I know I could brew for a lot less by buying bulk ingredients, yeast farming, etc. but the trouble is not something I have time for these days. As it is, it always seems like my homebrewing time available is always under pressure from work/outside influences so spending what amounts to a few dimes per bottle more doesn't bother me. If I had more time and more space, I would probably shy aways from these kits. money aside, the end products are wonderful.

I'm also not earthy-crunchy about the organic thing - to me it is usually indicative more of a philosophy of having fresh ingredients than the organic part itself. And I will say the the ingredients, hops especially, are definitely fhesher and more alive than beer-wine.com and other places I've used.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:39 PM   #9
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

OK, I have done some research and have found the Holy Grail on prices for Brewers Best kits. Of course, there is a 4 dollar handling charge and shipping, but still the cheapest if your going to go via internet. I called them up and its a 4 dollar charge per order, not item, so order a couple.

www.leisure-time.com

Old 10-20-2006, 07:39 PM   #10
debtman7
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Grog
OK, I have done some research and have found the Holy Grail on prices for Brewers Best kits. Of course, there is a 4 dollar handling charge and shipping, but still the cheapest if your going to go via internet. I called them up and its a 4 dollar charge per order, not item, so order a couple.

www.leisure-time.com
Wow, they have a 'Get Netscape Navigator 3' button on their page.. That was released in 1996!

I hope their kits are more up to date than their website...

Quick Reply