brewers best kolsch with white labs WLP029 German Ale/ Kölsch Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottab

Reaction score
My next brew is brewers best kolsch with white labs WLP029 German Ale/ Kölsch Yeast.
The only thing i'm adding is an extra lb of pilsen dme, part in a yeast starter and part as a late addition.
Does anyone have any tips or recommendations for me and this brew?

Also is a starter necessary with the white labs vials for a 5 gal batch?

Yes make a starter. Under pitched wimpy yeast will yield a slow start. Kolsch beer needs to have good temperature control.

If you brew the kolsch in the 70's or above you get a fruity character. It will also add butter and almost plastic like quality. Try to keep your temperature in the 60's or better yet 58..

Beware that WLP029 will give off lots of awful sulphur smells. It's perfectly normal. I would cold condition your fermenter for a few days after your done with the secondary fermentation...Then bottle her up she'll be clear as a bell.

Just give it enough time to bottle condition.

i did the brwers best kolsch over a month ago. it has been in the secondary with the temp set at 40 degrees for about 2 weeks now. i let it set for a ittle over a week in the primary, secondaried at 60 degrees for two weeks and have had it set on 40 degrees for 2 weeks. the tempature never went over 64 in my fermentering chamber(wine cooler with a digital johnson controller on it. it is amazingly clear and i can't wait to bottle it next month and drink it later on in the summer. i like to let mine sit at least a month in the bottles at 65 degrees.

Veedo said:
you taste it yet?

Just samples as i've tested gravity but those samples have been pretty tasty. Can't wait for it to mature, just bottled today.

Latest posts

Back