Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Brewer's Best kits - Any thoughts?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2007, 10:00 AM   #1
vav
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewer's Best kits - Any thoughts?

I just brewed the IPA. Anyone have any thoughts on these kits?

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2007, 11:07 AM   #2
dilligas2u
Recipes 

I use the BB kits some and never had any problems with them. I kinda like them till I get into all grain. The Holiday ale they have was good so was the octoberfest.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:03 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

I did quite a few of them when I first started brewing. My first was the English Brown and I did the Red, the English Pale Ale, and I think one or two others. Excellent kits with good directions!

Another place I used to get kits was austinhomebrew.com. They have great kits and you can order one of their "clone" kits if you have a certain beer you like. They are realy good, and super fresh.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:14 PM   #4
sTango
Dunwich Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks for the post VAV, as these are the only kits i've been using, and have been wanting to ask this question myself. I have done their American Cerveza, English Brown Ale, Robust Porter and Irish Stout. Every kit has been great and easy to do.
I was gonna try switching to another brand because I'm a little bored with them but then I learned about late addition brewing (where you dont add the LME till close to the end) so now im gonna re-brew the kits i have already done with that method and compare the results.

Its not the beer that gets ya!.

Primary 1: air
Primary 2: Apfelwine #1- 6 gal (9-10)
Primary 3: Hodgepodge Wine (13)
Secondary: Innsmouth Pale Ale (BB IPA)(12)
Secondary 2: Benischewitz (w1) (home grown concord wine)
Kegged/Bottled: Leaky Tap Braggot (8) Kegged/ Miskatonic Chronic (BB Holiday Ale)(11) Bottled/Providence Stout (7) Bottled/Honey Brown Ale (6) Bottled

Wines (Bottled)
Chianti (w2)(kit),Reisling (w3)(kit),

Next Up: Newcastle, Hobgoblin, Old Speckled Hen

Old 12-12-2007, 12:37 PM   #5
MikeInCtown
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My first kit was a BB and it couldn't have been easier. I think the instructions were more than adequate and could have been shortened easily. Mine was missing the priming sugar, but that stuff was so cheap to buy I have more than enough for my next few batches. I get to either bottle mine or move to secondary in the next day or so and am pretty excited.

I already ordered a kit from AHS so I will compare the two. From what I've heard the AHS kit will contain the same type of fresh ingredients and great instructions that the BB kit did.

Bottled - Continental Pilsner, Island Mist Mango Citrus, Island Mist Wildberry Shiraz
Up next - AH Foster's clone, Labatt's clone, Hard Apple Cider,
The Independence Street Brew House

Old 12-12-2007, 02:25 PM   #6
NM68657
Recipes 

I've used 3 or 4 BB kits with great results. The Steam Beer, Red Ale, and Irish Stout were very good. Was not crazy about the Mexican Cervesa kit, though it did taste like a Negro Modelo sort of.

Bottled: IPA, Irish Stout, Steam, Easy Wheat, American Wheat, Red Ale, Pumpkin Ale, Chocolate Porter

On Deck: Corona Clone, DeckHand Stout

Old 12-12-2007, 02:42 PM   #7
LostDakota

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just keged the BB IPA. Though I am having minor carbonation issues, (due to my impatience... I know, I know. This hobby is all about patience.) The beer is really good. This is the second BB kit I have used. The first one was sh!tty because I was trying to get the most out of the grains by bagging them over the kettle. Subsequently, I ended up pouring most of them in the pot accidently and boiling them due to lack of strainer. Austinhomebrew.com bags the grains for you which is more convenient, IMHO.
-Drew

drewmika.com

Quote:
In the words of the great Colonel Sanders...
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken."

Old 12-12-2007, 04:27 PM   #8
trabus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've got the Brewer's Best IPA kit in secondary right now and the sample I tasted was pretty good. I modified the kit a little though, I added an ounce of Columbus hops at 15 minutes and I'm also dry hopping for 10 days with an ounce of Amarillo in the secondary.

I'm bottling in a week, and it should be ready by the 10th of January. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:45 PM   #9
vav
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trabus
I've got the Brewer's Best IPA kit in secondary right now and the sample I tasted was pretty good. I modified the kit a little though, I added an ounce of Columbus hops at 15 minutes and I'm also dry hopping for 10 days with an ounce of Amarillo in the secondary.

I'm bottling in a week, and it should be ready by the 10th of January. I'll let you know how it turns out.
I'm thinking of dry hopping this one too...let me know how it turns out.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:02 AM   #10
MMMIPA
Recipes 

My first kit was a BB IPA kit and it came out very drinkable for me and my buddies.However, I think I did overboil the hops cause I couldnt notice any bitterness to it and there wasnt any hop notes either.It was more of a lighter colored amber ale.Still great for first time kits though.I think for the price of the BB kits you can get kits from AHBS.I am in the process of fermenting there Oatmeal stout and im going to be brewing there Two Hearted clone very soon,once I get a carboy.

Sean

Fermenting:Conditioning
Primary:Bell's Two Hearted clone

Quick Reply