Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Brewers Best Kits

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2008, 05:41 PM   #21
Nosnum
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIPFT
My first two batches have been BB kits. I've got the IPA bottled and waiting and the bock in the primary. I tried the IPA after a week of conditioning just to see how it was coming along and it was better than expected.
I just brewed this myself. If my local store has the right hops I am going to dry hop it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2008, 09:26 PM   #22
BIPFT
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosnum
I just brewed this myself. If my local store has the right hops I am going to dry hop it.

If you can get the hops go for it. It'll be worth it. I couldn't decide if I was going to or not, but since it was my first batch I figured I'd stick w/what I had.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:49 PM   #23
TinmanDan
Recipes 

I've done the Oktoberfest, Scotch Ale, and European Bock....all very good, but the Oktoberfest was the best, in my own opinion, and according to all those who have yet to taste it. BB kits are very easy, and generally result in good beer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Primary: AG Russian Imperial Stout
Secondary: Nothing
Conditioning: Spiced Winter Ale, Tongue Splitter
Drinking: CA Imperial Pale Ale II, Dry Irish Stout, ESB
On Deck: AG Kitchen Sink Porter

Old 02-26-2008, 06:52 PM   #24
crazy_piump
Recipes 

Default Next step from a BB kit?

I've just brewed a BB Red Ale that is in the primary so I have a few weeks to see how that will turn out. I'm probably going to do a couple more BB kits to get the process down. What's my next progression after that? The goal is to brew from scratch and create recipes of my own.

Next Up: Fat Tire Clone, Citrus Wheat

Old 02-26-2008, 07:03 PM   #25
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_piump
I've just brewed a BB Red Ale that is in the primary so I have a few weeks to see how that will turn out. I'm probably going to do a couple more BB kits to get the process down. What's my next progression after that? The goal is to brew from scratch and create recipes of my own.
Brew some of the great recipes on here. The difference between the recipes in the kits and here, is that you can actually ask questions of the creator. You'll get a feel of what the different grains do to the beer...

Yooper's recipes are awsome, so are cheezy's....Heck, all the recipe creators on here are genuises....I read them, even if they're not in a style I like...That way I understand what grains go into what style...

Then perhaps Partial Mashing instead of just steeping....Then allgrain if you have the space to do full volume boils.

Somewhere in this progression you'll also begin formulating your own recipes as you read and start doing these.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

People Like This 
Old 02-26-2008, 07:14 PM   #26
drsocc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_piump

I would shoot for one of the clone recipes up here. You'll have a basis of comparison and generally the recipes come with some feedback from others who have already tried it (or you could ask the op of the recipe).

Old 02-26-2008, 07:36 PM   #27
samilliken
Recipes 

I have brewed the Brewer's Best English Brown Ale kit several times and the American Nut Brown Ale once. The English Brown Ale lends itself very well to being made into a Pumpkin Spice Ale. I had a corny keg of it and one of Ed Wort's Apfelwein at a party back in October and the Pumpkin Spice disappeared after just a couple of hours. The Apfelwein didn't last much longer.

Anyway, the Brewer's Best kits are easy to brew and you can get some consistently good batches out of them, even with the dried yeast packet included in the kit.

Scott

Old 02-26-2008, 08:27 PM   #28
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorBrew
Dang it...Not like that!

I mean the Dancing one.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:39 PM   #29
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

My Orange Ginger Dortmunder is a modification of the BB's Bold series 1047 Dortmunder kit. With an additional Hop added at 60, a couple additions of orange peel and ginger root, and about a half cup of fresh orange juice added to the secondary.

I just cracked one open last night (after only 17 days in the bottle) to check things out. And I was blown away by it. It is amazing.

It had aspects of it that reminded me of the belgian triple I had had 2 nights before at a brew pub, only not as heavy.

It was really quaffable.

And I know it will get even better in a couple more weeks. It should be a nice spring/summer brew. One that even bmc drinkers might like.

I know I'll make it again, except since BB give you detailed recipe's with the kit, I'll just buy the ingredients myself. I'll either just swap the lme for the correct amount of DME....Or work it into a PM.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-27-2008, 12:41 AM   #30
Skins_Brew

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I can vouch for the amber ale. Tastes great! It was my first brew ever.

I Support My LHBS!! (Maryland HB)

Quick Reply