Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Brewers Best - Belgian Golden Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2013, 03:35 AM   #11
brewinchef_fairfax
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Here's the recipe finally. 60 minute boil.

6lbs CBW Pilsen Light DME
2lbs Golden Belgian Candi Syrup (@50)
1lb Blanc Soft Sugar (White)(@50)
2 oz Willamette (@60 and 30)
.5 oz Mt. Hood (@5)
And 1 pack of Belle Saison Yeast - Danstar

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 03:23 AM   #12
brewinchef_fairfax
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I have to say that near 3 months later - I liked this beer better when it was flat - before I bottled it. The samples were wonderful then - but now it just seems unbalanced and has changed significantly in flavor and body since it was bottled. Nothing tastes really off - or medicinal. It's just not the same beer it was before it went into the bottles. And I've noticed the head seems really bitter - where the rest of the beer doesn't have that characteristic.

I do notice that as it warms up a bit the flavor is a little better. When it's really cold it just doesn't taste right. I let one sit out for about 30 - 40 minutes and the flavor is better. Still not the same as it was when it was bottled.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:45 AM   #13
BeerWhale
Recipes 

Thanks for the update! Our batch hits three weeks in the bottles today...I put a six pack in the fridge for tonight, but based on your comments I think I'll keep the rest at room temp. Good heads up!

Old 03-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #14
brewinchef_fairfax
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I went to the LHBS today and they seem to think that the yeast was still active and changing the character of the beer - so if you like the way it tastes now you might want to refrigerate it all. They said that because it is a Saison yeast that it is pretty robust and might be overworking the beer. Chilling them down will slow that process.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #15
brewinchef_fairfax
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I left a few bottles with the LHBS last night and they just called to say that they thought the beer was perfectly brewed and that it was everything it should be. They said it was an excellent representation of the beer and that I might not be used to the style. So there you have it.. Turns out my taste buds are to blame for the alarm. There's nothing bad about it - just not what I'm used to or was expecting... Live to brew another day...

Old 03-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #16
BeerWhale
Recipes 

Awesome. Thanks for the updates. Notes from this weekend are that this brew is in fact delicious...and strong. Great kit, great results, great beer.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #17
OhReally
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I'm about to brew this kit tonight. In fact I'm gonna have a hard time trying to concentrate at work today.

My kit came with .5 oz. US Brewer's Gold for bittering and 2 oz. of German Hallertau for the flavor and aroma additions.

It also came with a packet of the Danstar Belle Saison yeast, but I didn't think one packet was going to be enough for the OG. I generally like liquid yeasts better, so I have a two-vial starter of White Labs WLP545 Belgian Strong Ale going right now.

Updates to come.

Cheers

You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
-Bob Dylan

Primary: -
Secondary: -
Bottled: Ex-Pat 1800 English IPA
Drinking: Black IPA, Hoppiness is an IPA, Port O' Palmer Robust Porter, Nae Foolish Wee Heavy, Devil's Milk barley wine

Old 03-12-2013, 02:26 AM   #18
OhReally
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Wow it must be amateur night tonight! I spent the night brewing this, and then without thinking, pitched the yeast starter before I took a gravity reading! Then I took a sample, didn't even bother getting a good look at it, and poured it right back into the bucket!

Oh the perils of too much homebrew on brew day.

I'm kicking myself already, but I guess I'll just let it ride and see how it goes...

You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
-Bob Dylan

Primary: -
Secondary: -
Bottled: Ex-Pat 1800 English IPA
Drinking: Black IPA, Hoppiness is an IPA, Port O' Palmer Robust Porter, Nae Foolish Wee Heavy, Devil's Milk barley wine
UglyDude Likes This 
Old 03-12-2013, 02:38 AM   #19
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I would not worry too much. It will be beer. Probably good beer.

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Old 03-23-2014, 07:38 PM   #20
ubnserved
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I know this is an old thread but I'll try anyway. .. I looked through the tread and did not see a flavor profile for this beer. My son got me a beer kit for Christmas Belgian Golden Ale. I have never brewed a Belgian Golden before and have never tasted one so I was looking for a flavor profile. I just put mine in the secondary and of course it is still full of floating yeasties. The thing tat really struck me was the very noticeable smell of apples and cinnamon. And the flavor is sweet with palatable apple flavor with a hint of cinnamon. Reminds me of the hot spiced cider I make with Christian Brothers Brandy and spiced apple cider during the holidays. It also has a present alcohol note to it. Not to the point of an alcohol burn but you know it is there. I did not take a reading but it should be close to the 7% - 8% desired for this beer. I was on the mark for OG.

"There can't be good living where there is not good drinking. "

Benjamin Franklin

Quick Reply