Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Brewers best ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2012, 01:58 AM   #11
singram
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

First, regarding your concern about the reliability of Brewers Best kits, My first 5 batches were BB kits, and all went off without a hitch in spite of my noob mistakes. Everything needed(yes, including yeast) is included.

Second BBs Milk Stout kit was my 2nd batch. Even though I've moved past extract kits, I do plan on doing another Milk Stout in the near future. In spite of drinking the entire batch WAAY to early, my wife(as well as a couple co-workers absolutely loved it).

Adding coffee beans does sound interesting but personally If I've never tried a given kit before, or was new to extract brewing in general, I'd leave it as is so I know exactly what its supposed to taste like before altering it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 04:27 PM   #12
ssiimmoonn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by singram
First, regarding your concern about the reliability of Brewers Best kits, My first 5 batches were BB kits, and all went off without a hitch in spite of my noob mistakes. Everything needed(yes, including yeast) is included.

Second BBs Milk Stout kit was my 2nd batch. Even though I've moved past extract kits, I do plan on doing another Milk Stout in the near future. In spite of drinking the entire batch WAAY to early, my wife(as well as a couple co-workers absolutely loved it).

Adding coffee beans does sound interesting but personally If I've never tried a given kit before, or was new to extract brewing in general, I'd leave it as is so I know exactly what its supposed to taste like before altering it.
Awesome, thanks . Brewed it last night. Didn't rehydrate the yeast and had some nice bubbling action this morning, was confused about the maltodextrin addition. I added it right at end if boil and mixed it up good. Do you remember when you added it? ( too late but maybe for next time I'll take note)

Old 01-18-2012, 05:23 PM   #13
singram
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Do you remember when you added it?
Not off the top of my head, but I can say that I followed BBs instructions verbatim. Oh, wait, now that I'm thinking about it, I want to say the instructions called for it to be added at the same time as the Extract. Whatever it said, I did.

This kit is definitly worth the wait. It was tasty at first, then got downright awesome toward the end.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #14
bitlumpkin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiimmoonn View Post
Everything included and ready to go out of box? Was hoping to get it done today right after I pick it up so I can make sure to call it MLK stout...
this is great. very creative.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #15
Frankiesurf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiimmoonn View Post
Awesome, thanks . Brewed it last night. Didn't rehydrate the yeast and had some nice bubbling action this morning, was confused about the maltodextrin addition. I added it right at end if boil and mixed it up good. Do you remember when you added it? ( too late but maybe for next time I'll take note)
I have the BB milk stout fermenting now. There was nothing in the directions for the Malto Dextrin. After reading up on here, it could be added anytime during boil.

I did contact them to let them know about it missing from the steps. They are aware and all new kits come with them.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #16
ssiimmoonn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cool , yeah I knew I didn't see it after carefully scanning the paper,. Also I put this in primary sometime late Tuesday, at around 7 am airlock was bubblin pretty solidly and lasted all Wednesday, now it's pretty quiet and not much action.... Any thoughts?

Old 01-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #17
Taypo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Patience, grasshoppa. Gotta give it a couple weeks, its perfectly normal! Whats your fermentation temperature?

Primary: Innkeeper
Secondary: Dawson's Kriek, Wee Heavy
Bottled: Spiced Holiday Ale,
Drinking: Moose Drool Clone, Irish Red, Oaked Whiskey Vanilla Porter, Milk Stout, NB Innkeeper Kit (West Yorkshire), NB Mild Ale (West Yorkshire), American Wheat
Planning: Irish Red, Patersbier,

Old 01-19-2012, 11:05 PM   #18
singram
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
There was nothing in the directions for the Malto Dextrin
Look closely under step 4 Start Boil. I remember it took me awhile to find it too. So in answer to OPs question, add it at the start of the boil.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:07 PM   #19
singram
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Anybody have any thoughts on a partial mash milk stout recipe?

Old 01-19-2012, 11:36 PM   #20
Frankiesurf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by singram View Post
Look closely under step 4 Start Boil. I remember it took me awhile to find it too. So in answer to OPs question, add it at the start of the boil.
You must have the updated version.

Quick Reply