Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Extract Brewing (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/)
-   -   Brewers best ? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/brewers-best-295244/)

ssiimmoonn 01-16-2012 04:45 PM

Brewers best ?
 
Thinking of picking up a Brewers best milk stout kit, just out of ease the place down the road carries this. If I pick it up this afternoon would I be able to be brewing right away? Or will I need to do yeast starter or get a new yeast al together? (I read these kits yeast aren't that reliable) this place doesn't carry the wyeast packets

lemmiwinks 01-16-2012 04:54 PM

My first brew was a Brewers Best IIPA.
Came with a packet of dry yeast (Safale US-05).
I pitched dry and it attenuated just fine (1.080 down to 1.022).

I recommend rehydrating though which I did for my 2nd batch (not a kit).
I boiled 1/2 cup tap water and let cool to 80. When the yeast dissolved it started to form a type of cream. I stirred gently every few minutes from then till I pitched (about an hour). Fermentation took off in less than 12 hours.

mmoran903 01-16-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssiimmoonn (Post 3671204)
Thinking of picking up a Brewers best milk stout kit, just out of ease the place down the road carries this. If I pick it up this afternoon would I be able to be brewing right away? Or will I need to do yeast starter or get a new yeast al together? (I read these kits yeast aren't that reliable) this place doesn't carry the wyeast packets

I brewed this kit on Wednesday. Everything needed is included.

ssiimmoonn 01-16-2012 05:19 PM

Everything included and ready to go out of box? Was hoping to get it done today right after I pick it up so I can make sure to call it MLK stout...

lemmiwinks 01-16-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssiimmoonn (Post 3671328)
Everything included and ready to go out of box? Was hoping to get it done today right after I pick it up so I can make sure to call it MLK stout...

Definitely.
Comes with Extract, specialty grains (and grain bag if it has specialties), hops and yeast.
As long as you've got a brew pot of some kind and primary fermenter, you're good to go.

unionrdr 01-16-2012 05:31 PM

I didn't know BB had a milk stout. I love the one from Left Hand Brewing. It tastes like it has cold coffee in it too. Might have to try that one.

WarblyTremolo 01-16-2012 10:00 PM

I've brewed the milk stout kit as well - delicious. I also added some sanitized decaf coffee beans to the primary two days before bottling and it worked out really well!

ssiimmoonn 01-17-2012 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarblyTremolo
I've brewed the milk stout kit as well - delicious. I also added some sanitized decaf coffee beans to the primary two days before bottling and it worked out really well!

Nice, like the sound of the coffee additions , how'd you do the yeast? I havent worked with A dry yeast before.

unionrdr 01-17-2012 12:03 PM

I re-hydrate dry yeast to wake it up & cut lag time. More vigorous initial fermentation.

WarblyTremolo 01-17-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssiimmoonn

Nice, like the sound of the coffee additions , how'd you do the yeast? I havent worked with A dry yeast before.

Just dump it into 1/2 cup of warm, sanitized water (68-75 degrees) for 30 minutes before you pitch it. After its been in the water 10 minutes, give it a little stir (sanitize the stirring device!). It should get all frothy which indicates that the yeast is viable.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:57 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.