Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Brew now or later?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2013, 12:41 AM   #1
helloscholars
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brew now or later?

IAMA college student in NY, hailing from Seattle. First post, so good to meet y'all!

So, I just got a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone kit from my girlfriend for my birthday. Just after the semester ends in mid-May, I'm spending a month in Sicily before driving back home to Seattle from NY.

I don't think I'll be able to drink it all before I have to go abroad (factoring in fermentation, bottle conditioning, and the other 10 gallons of beer I have to finish before then). I'm most likely going to have to leave something in storage for a month followed by a cross-country road trip. I doubt storage will be temperature controlled, and I drive an '88 honda civic hatchback (air conditioning is rolling down the windows...),

So here's my question: is it better to subject the ingredients (extract, hops, dry yeast), or the finished beer to this kind of treatment?

Many, many thanks for your help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2013, 12:55 AM   #2
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 342 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Welcome to the group, from CO. If you have a current pipeline, I would wait.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing, visiting the great breweries / brewpubs in CO!

Old 04-14-2013, 12:58 AM   #3
Spintab
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Welcome! The biggest concern would be the extract staling. As long as the hops are sealed air tight with as much air removed as possible they should be ok for a bit. Dry yeast should be fine. If you brewed it now, you'd be bottling just about the time you leave. That gives you three weeks of decent bottle conditioning temps in storage leaving a week and a cross country road trip too warm. Having grown up in CT, I know summer temps won't stay much higher than 80 for more than a few hours each day. You could honestly go either way. I think any freshness you lose would be equal. So the question is do you want beer ready for you when you get home with the chance to brew something new or do you want to have to wait a couple months after your first chance to brew when you get home?

Primary: Honey Kolsch Take 2
Kegged: Alt
Kegged: meBohPils
Bottled: Belgian Gold

Quick Reply