Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Brew in a kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2006, 08:17 PM   #11
Ol' Grog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't mind concocting one, I'm just not experienced enough when it comes out to the steeping grains. Some require milling, some don't. Some require crushing, some don't. I just don't know enough and yes, I have been ignorant on this, as I haven't sat down to learn yet. Life happens. I am comfortable with hopping, brewing, pitching, racking, using extracts and DME. All the kits I've done so far have had grains and I think, by understanding their function, properties and smelling the wort pre-boil, that they add a lot to the beer. I hate to order some stuff and then find out that I'm SOL on a particular step and screw the whole batch up. I'm willing to take chances and try newer things, but I just don't want to have to throw out a batch because of my unknowing. Makes sense? I've seen some killer sounding recipes here and will try them when I know what I want and know exactly what stuff makes what taste.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2006, 04:00 PM   #12
pariah
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Grog
I've only brewed two so far and they've been OK. These were BB kits. Have any of you used this kit and tried a different brand? What did you think? Better? Worse? I'm in the experimenting phase and I'm going to stick with extracts for a while, a long while and was wondering what other kits are pretty good. My LHBS has a lot of BB kits, but it's a hour drive. So far I've brewed and now drinking the American Amber, it's OK, not great. I brewed and bottled the Continental Pilsner, which smelled really good when I bottled it this past weekend and now I have the wheat beer version on BB and will be brewing that up when I get my kegs this week. Are there better ones out there? I prefer a malty, sweeter beer as opposed to more bitter ones. Help me find the Holy Grail.
Do you drive up to OKC and go to The Brew Shop on Pennsylvania and 36th? I'm guessing that would be about an hour and I don't know of any other places around here...although it seems there are a few in Tulsa.

I have had great success with BB kits, I always use a liquid yeast too. The guys at the TBS usually know just the one to use. And if you are going to the same Brew Shop as I am, the guys there will mill/crush grain for you upon purchase.

My second batch was a BB American Amber. It was alright, not spectacular. Used the dry yeast provided.

My third batch was a BB Pale Ale, it was pretty damn good. I used whitelabs English Ale yeast on that and it was a very nice beer.

My fourth batch was a BB Russian Imperial Stout from their "Bold Series" to which I added two ounces of bakers chocolate and used whitelabs Dry English Ale yeast. I still have some, I rationed it out because it is spectacular. I'm definitely brewing it again.

After that I messed around with my own recipes for a while, those turned out pretty well but since it was still extract/grain steeping they weren't that different from BB in terms of quality.

I've got a BB Porter I'm going to rack tonight, also from the "Bold Series". I expect it to be an excellent porter.

Old 10-18-2006, 04:10 PM   #13
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, that's the one I go to when I'm in town on weekends. Did you know that at one time Chuck told me there were 8 brew stores in OKC area alone? Wow.
Appreciate your comments on the American Amber, I didn't think it was all that and you are confirming that too also. But, you restored faith in the other different types. Glad to hear they are all not the same. Chuck told me that BB was pretty good and he uses them too. But, we all have different taste. For some reason, when I was in Austin, I tried a couple of stouts and just did not like them. I like the Pale Ales. Maybe I'll try that kit next.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:13 PM   #14
pariah
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Grog
Yeah, that's the one I go to when I'm in town on weekends. Did you know that at one time Chuck told me there were 8 brew stores in OKC area alone? Wow.
Appreciate your comments on the American Amber, I didn't think it was all that and you are confirming that too also. But, you restored faith in the other different types. Glad to hear they are all not the same. Chuck told me that BB was pretty good and he uses them too. But, we all have different taste. For some reason, when I was in Austin, I tried a couple of stouts and just did not like them. I like the Pale Ales. Maybe I'll try that kit next.
Well you said you liked a malty sweeter beer, but the BB pale ale I made is a really crisp beer probably more defined by its floral hoppiness rather than maltiness (I'm thinking Bass here). Still it's a great beer, I'd brew it again. And the whitelabs yeast might have had something to do with that.

But using your own recipes is a great way to go too. The main reason I bought the BB porter recently was because I was an idiot and infected my last two batches, so my supplies have been dwindling and I didn't want to mess with a recipe that might not turn out well. So I bought something I knew would turn out well, BB!

Eight in the OKC area huh? I'd only ever heard of their place, and I think they had one in Norman. Not that I would ever go anywhere else but sometimes they are closed and I just want to brew *now*! Tulsa has quite a few though.

Old 10-19-2006, 12:29 AM   #15
God Emporer BillyBrew

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

He means at one time. Back when I made my first foray into it about 15 years ago I found 4 in the yellow pages.

---------------------------------------------------
Desert Planet Brewing Co.

Primary :Bloody Nose Porter
Primary 2: Bloody Nose Porter
Secondary: Blackberry Melomel
Secondary 2:air
Bottled : 14 Pound Hammer Cider, Punkin Ale, know ale, Domino wheat
Keg 1: **** Inside Her
Keg 2: IPA
Keg 3: one on a weeknight, two on a weekend IIPA
Future : Ginger Cream Ale,

Old 10-19-2006, 05:28 AM   #16
pariah
Recipes 

Strange to have so many Oklahomans on such a small board!

Old 10-19-2006, 01:46 PM   #17
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Nothing else to do when the Sooners aren't playing and especially now, since AD is out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply