Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Brew House kit - WILD fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2007, 03:03 AM   #1
Philip1993
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Brew House kit - WILD fermentation

At the recommendation of my LHBS, I decided to try one of those "Brew House" pre-made wort kits. I figure he's an AG guy who brews excellent beer, so if he says they are pretty good, might as well see. Besides, I had no time to brew this weekend and I really wanted to put something in the fermenter. So, I picked an Ocktober fest kit and dragged it home ($35).

The "brew" went well, and the wort looked and smelled great. I really only had two negatives, both technical. First, the packets of "pH balancer" and "priming sugar" were unlabeled. Having brewed before, it was obvious by size/weight which was which, but for a novice that would not be true. Second, the seal was a pressed on/pry-off top. Not too bad for a hard jug, but a bit tricky to remove on a 4 gallon bag of liquid. Especially without stabbing the bag with a butter knife.

Also, up until now I thought I was a liquid yeast guy. This kit may have changed that for many of my beers. Even without a starter, the dry yeast was going in 4 hours and fully involved in 12hrs. Also, the fermentation got so vigorous that at 24 hours my air lock was starting to clog (6.5gal carbuoy). But that wasn't the wild part. The wild part was that when I affixed a 3/8" blowoff, the bubbles were coming at a rate of 15-20 per SECOND. It was like I had put an aquarium pump hose in my blowoff vessel. I normally put Star San in my airlocks, and I had to dump that and use water because the foam was starting to fill up my ferm cabinet.

Final thoughts
BrewHouse Kit: On look and smell alone - 4/5 stars. Ease of use - 5/5 stars.
Dry yeast: So far, 6/5 stars. If is tastes as good as well, liquid may be a thing of my past for most brews.

I'll keep you guys posted on how this thing tastes.

Last edited by Philip1993; 10-16-2007 at 04:03 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2007, 05:36 PM   #2
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

No comment? Am I the lone ranger for the "Brew House" kits?

Old 10-16-2007, 05:53 PM   #3
mdd134
Recipes 

This is the first time I have heard of that kit so is this kit a non concentrated malt kit?
I wonder how this kit will taste compared to an extract kit.

let us know how it turns out

Old 10-16-2007, 05:55 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I've seen them in catalogs, but never tried one. Shipping gets pricey for 30 pounds of fluid.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-16-2007, 05:55 PM   #5
Drunkensatyr

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

I have been sold on dry yeast for a while now. I still use some liquids, but almost never.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:24 PM   #6
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

The Sonoran Brewing Comapny sell these wort in a bag deals in one of our LHBS.
Intrigued!

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 10-16-2007, 08:15 PM   #7
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdd134
This is the first time I have heard of that kit so is this kit a non concentrated malt kit?
Sort of. It is brewed to a higher gravity, and intended to be diluted with 1-2 gallons of water. In that respect, it is "concentrated", but it hasn't been concentrated post boil. Sounds like word play, but I can see their point about the difference between brewing a 1.060 for dilution and turning wort into LME/DME and back into wort.

UPS doesn't charge much more for 50# than it does for 42# so I can only assume that it's not ready to ferment (i.e. don't add water) because of some fluke in the stock sizes of barrier bags, boxes, etc.

Here's the site for the kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo
The Sonoran Brewing Comapny sell these wort in a bag deals in one of our LHBS. Intrigued!
If I found a local micro that sold wort like that, I would have to try it. Even if I just took one of their basic worts and tweaked it from there. Seriously, how many of us would pass on the opportunity to get our hands on 5g of SNPA pre-fermentation?

Also, I love the act of brewing, but there is something to be said for pour, pitch, ferment for those weekends where you have some time, but not enough. And also for those styles of beer you want on hand for company, but don't care for much yourself.

Last edited by Philip1993; 10-16-2007 at 08:28 PM.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:52 AM   #8
skou
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo
The Sonoran Brewing Comapny sell these wort in a bag deals in one of our LHBS.
Intrigued!
Scott makes some GOOD beers! (I wonder which LHBS that is. The one I USED to work at?)

steve

Old 10-17-2007, 01:51 AM   #9
mrk305
Beer Dude in the Sunset
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

So it's add water, stir & pitch yeast? That could come in handy! Thanks for the link.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:05 AM   #10
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Most of those Brew House kits are great (if fresh) and they seem to be really popular up here in Canada. My brother in law has actually one quite a few medals by 'hacking' them (adding steeped grains, dry hopping, etc.). His last brown ale even qualified for the NHC this year. To get there he beat out about 30 other brews, most of which were AG brews, many from some VERY seasoned homebrewers.

Quick Reply